Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cotten, I moved shovelhead operating temp here

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I knew that if the points were closed, Ryan,...

That it would drain the battery; If it cooked the coil, I'd guess that was one helluva battery.

...Cotten
    It sure did drain the battery Cotten. The battery is not even a month old.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    It sure did drain the battery Cotten. The battery is not even a month old.
    Well then we gotta blame the coil, huh.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Well then we gotta blame the coil, huh.

....Cotten
    So does that mean that the coil was going out anyway? It was an Andrew's coil from the early nineties. Lol

I have seen 3 or 4 coils do what happened to yours, can not explain why but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pan620 View Post
    I have seen 3 or 4 coils do what happened to yours, can not explain why but it does happen.
    I think it is because the coil was charging, while the ignition was on, and could not release it's energy, so the energy built up and melted in down.
    It kind of sucks to, because a big bike show is going on today, a huge 30 mile Trump parade and it's my birthday. Could have been worse, it can always get worse.

Isn't that why cars have the 'accessories' position on the ignition switch? So you can use the battery without charging the coil and risk burning it out.
    I was always taught to not leave the ignition switch in the 'on' position, without the motor running, for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cooke View Post
    Isn't that why cars have the 'accessories' position on the ignition switch? So you can use the battery without charging the coil and risk burning it out.
    I was always taught to not leave the ignition switch in the 'on' position, without the motor running, for that reason.
    I was always taught that as well, but just happened to forget the switch was on. You did give me a thought though, I am not sure if starter can be used in accessories position on my bike or not, but I am going to check.