Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil seal cork washer behind main drive sprocket 1957 Panhead

Hi,
    I'm changing the oil seal (2163-36) behind the sprocket on the transmission from my 1957 FLH. Behind the oil seal is part number 2163-36B - oil seal cork washer. I don't have this part. Local input is that the cork washer is not necessary. I think that the engineers who designed the system had a reason to have it there. Normally I'd just order the cork washer but I'd like to have the bike back together for an upcoming event. What's the groups thinking on if the cork washer is needed or not?

Steve Slaminko

The cork washer was used in the days when the oil seal was a plain steel exterior surface. The edge of the seal could press into the cork to prevent oil seepage around the exterior of the seal. Modern replacement seals are generally coated with a vinyl type coating that acts as a sealer to the material it is pressed into, so there is usually no leakage unless the seal bore in the case is damaged. So you can use it or not depending on your replacement parts.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie.

Comment

Here is a video that shows a couple of upgrades on the seal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qDZZloH62s

Comment

Great video. Thanks.

Comment

The cork also acts as a spacer to keep from seating the seal to deep. If you don't use it, be sure and just seat the seal flush with the case. If seated to deep, it will bind the sprocket spacer and cause a lot of drag on the sprocket.

Comment

Working...
            X