Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abernathy H-D

A very good friend just closed his dealership that has been in business since the 60's, the Motor Company fined him $10,000 for using the word "deal" in a ad that ran for 2 days, he had enough of them.

Hi Folks:

Its impossible for our current world social climate not to creep into our forum. You all do a good job of keeping it about the antique motorcycle world and yes the impact of the upheaval does impact antique motorcycles since that is the reason the H-D dealer is selling his collection after many years. Just please continue to be aware that in a group of people that have come together for one purpose, in our case antique motorcycles, other issues from social conditions, politics, money, music, religion, etc. we are going to find that some people will have one view and others will have another. Conflict is human and it can both bring about good change and bad change and we have little control over that in the AMCA Community Forum. Just know that you have fellow members that are going to feel differently about the current social upheaval and that's a fact. Keep discussion, comments and commentary classy and in line with club rules.

I will always be doing the job of moderation based on what I feel is best for our community forum and not how I might feel socially. The AMCA membership wants me to moderate in the most fair means possible and maintain posting and discussion as the Club rules say “solely for the purpose of providing members with a valuable source of information, communication and discussion about antique motorcycles 35 years and older.”

Thanks and high regards to you all

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum Moderator

Look like a significant stock buy back and manipulation at the top floor at HOG recently. Trying to recover from lows of $15/share in March. Strong headwinds for the motor company, with dealerships closing it appears it may be a rough ride through the fall season... maybe much longer.
    Following MarketWatch, Seeking Alpha, and others for analytical data on HOG performance on the "Big Board". Today, a sell recommendation from consensus researchers.

A new CEO and a modified business strategy to "trim the fat" explains much of the activity recently. H/D is known for being in out of touch with consumers and the overall market. Poor performance, weak management, a dinasour product in comparison to the motorcycle market, paints a bleak picture for the future of HOG.
    Cutting off your nose to spite your face, is an old adage that comes to mind.

Its always all about the money... just business as usual. In the business world there are no friendships, no loyalty, only profits and losses. No emotional ties. period.

p.s. its a shame the nuts and bolts of capitalism are so unforgiving, the alternative isn't any more rewarding. I feel sorry for the Abernathy's and others who have been dealt a crushing blow, all in the name of "social justice", and another mans attempt for survival in the business world. Life isn't always equally fair.

Thank you Mike.
    DrSprocket

Quote Originally Posted by pan620 View Post
    A very good friend just closed his dealership that has been in business since the 60's, the Motor Company fined him $10,000 for using the word "deal" in a ad that ran for 2 days, he had enough of them.
    The suits at Harley Davidson have made some heavy handed and/or cowardly decisions for some time now. These latest moves are nothing new really.

Quote Originally Posted by ihrescue View Post
    You all do a good job of keeping it about the antique motorcycle world...
    In the spirit of keeping it about the antique motorcycle world... the MoCo's treatment of Bill's Cycle a few years ago was just a portent of things to come. I've had enough of them since then.

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    Thank you Mike.
    I also want to thank Mike. Boycott Harley? Really ?? I have not visited ANY of the local Harley Dealers in over 20 years. None are owned by the original owners or families. They have not one item for any of my 1920's through 1950's bikes or trikes that I own.
    Craig Heinle AMCA # 2338

Quote Originally Posted by 41craig View Post
    I also want to thank Mike. Boycott Harley? Really ?? I have not visited ANY of the local Harley Dealers in over 20 years. None are owned by the original owners or families. They have not one item for any of my 1920's through 1950's bikes or trikes that I own.
    Craig Heinle AMCA # 2338
    Craig - you make an interesting observation. I have a friend that had been a mechanic for H-D dealers going back into the late 60s. He absorbed a lot of the environment and business acumen of the motorcycle industry and points out that the "New" motorcycle industry is generally looking forward and certainly not back. They are busy selling new bikes and really cant afford to reflect too far back on the ones they already sold. Obviously they would like to make some money for service and merchandise but that is limited in years not even back as far as what would qualify as an antique bike by AMCA standards. My feel on this in regard to dealers of any new vehicle toward customers is "what have you done for me lately - oh you look perfect for this shiny Road King over here, would you like to take it for a ride?"

Remember back when they tried to copyright the sound of a v-twin. Indian's no better like when they forced Jim Sutter and many more out of business. It's all about the money sonny!
    DrSprocket

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    Remember back when they tried to copyright the sound of a v-twin. Indian's no better like when they forced Jim Sutter and many more out of business. It's all about the money sonny!
    How would Harley be making money in country by shutting down their own dealerships that are turning a profit? I know of 3 older dealerships that Harley dropped in the past year.

The thing is, Harley does not care about America nor the American citizens anymore!!!

H-D can not force a dealer to close their doors. They can revoke the franchise agreement and no longer sell to them or allow them to use the H-D name. The shop can continue to operate as an independent operation. Like Harry Pelton and Harry Molenaar did after their tickets got pulled.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/