Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify Brake Drum

DSCN4777[1].jpgDSCN4779[1].jpgDSCN4781[1].jpg

I have a Japanese-manufactured front brake drum that I acquired MANY years ago (I think in the early 1970's). I was gong to use it on a Ceriani front end but the project was never built and this drum has languished in my parts collection ever since. It was in almost-new condition when I received it and the only 'wear' is tarnishing acquired from years of sitting in my basement.
    I would like to sell it, but I don't remember what make bike it's from or what model year and I don't know if its valuable or valueless. Can anybody help by identifying this part?.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Looks like a rear drum
    The Linkert Book

Comment

You might be right, I have no idea.... I was hoping that a Japanese model expert might recognize it.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill,
        See the side with the extended lip and the pie shaped compartments? That is the drive side, there are rubber blocks that fit in the hub and the sprocket holder has fins on it that drop into slots in the blocks giving a cushioned drive. The only thing is almost all Japanese bikes use the same system.

What is the diameter on that drive side?
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie,
          I gave up on this request and didn't check until today and saw your response - thank you...

Yes, I do remember seeing those rubber inserts way back then... The I.D. on the drive side is 7-7/8" (20 cm).

I don't know if this piece is worth anything or not (I presume not), but even if it has no monetary value, Somebody may need it for a restoration or replacement part (excellent cond.) and I would love to see it go back into service rather than into the scrap pile.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

I admire your desire to see a part go to a good home, Bill. I have a Honda 450 and I think that is the same rear drum, but I suspect that Honda used it on a number of different models. I don't know that much about Honda production so I can't give a good reply. I suggest you put it on ebay and cover your shipping and handling costs and sell it for whatever it brings.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I just took a good look at my Honda rear drum and it looks just like the picture Bill posted. Perhaps Japanese manufacturers sourced from common vendors.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

My 450 hub is also 40 spoke like Bills.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to look Eric.

While would rather remove my fingernails with a vise-grip than use EBay (slight exaggeration), you're probably correct. It's probably the most fair way to sell the piece and see it back in service.

Happy Thanks Giving to you and yours - and to all other fellow members as well!
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Bill, and all AMCA members. Your ebay comment made me laugh
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                    X