Thread: Identify Brake Drum

Default Identify Brake Drum

DSCN4777[1].jpgDSCN4779[1].jpgDSCN4781[1].jpg

I have a Japanese-manufactured front brake drum that I acquired MANY years ago (I think in the early 1970's). I was gong to use it on a Ceriani front end but the project was never built and this drum has languished in my parts collection ever since. It was in almost-new condition when I received it and the only 'wear' is tarnishing acquired from years of sitting in my basement.
    I would like to sell it, but I don't remember what make bike it's from or what model year and I don't know if its valuable or valueless. Can anybody help by identifying this part?.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Looks like a rear drum

You might be right, I have no idea.... I was hoping that a Japanese model expert might recognize it.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,
    See the side with the extended lip and the pie shaped compartments? That is the drive side, there are rubber blocks that fit in the hub and the sprocket holder has fins on it that drop into slots in the blocks giving a cushioned drive. The only thing is almost all Japanese bikes use the same system.

What is the diameter on that drive side?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Robbie,
    I gave up on this request and didn't check until today and saw your response - thank you...

Yes, I do remember seeing those rubber inserts way back then... The I.D. on the drive side is 7-7/8" (20 cm).

I don't know if this piece is worth anything or not (I presume not), but even if it has no monetary value, Somebody may need it for a restoration or replacement part (excellent cond.) and I would love to see it go back into service rather than into the scrap pile.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

I admire your desire to see a part go to a good home, Bill. I have a Honda 450 and I think that is the same rear drum, but I suspect that Honda used it on a number of different models. I don't know that much about Honda production so I can't give a good reply. I suggest you put it on ebay and cover your shipping and handling costs and sell it for whatever it brings.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I just took a good look at my Honda rear drum and it looks just like the picture Bill posted. Perhaps Japanese manufacturers sourced from common vendors.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

My 450 hub is also 40 spoke like Bills.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886