Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corbin Gentry solo seats...

Default Corbin Gentry solo seats...

Hello All,
    Anyone purchase a solo seat from this vendor and how was the quality?
    Need one for my 58FL....
    Any other recommendations would be very much appreciated....
    Steve

Don't know if your just looking for something cheap or restoration quality. Take a look at Heather's Leathers.
    http://www.heathersleathers.com/solosplainhd.html

I will look them up!
    Thank you for the tip!

Its been a coupla decades, Folks,

But Heather's work was everything I expected.

Unfortunately, I then went elsewhere: https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...light=Royalite

For all the angst about rosettes lately, beware this fellow didn't even poke them in the center.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post

Unfortunately, I then went elsewhere: https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...light=Royalite

For all the angst about rosettes lately, beware this fellow didn't even poke them in the center.

....Cotten
    The older seats were sewn with natural flax thread with hot wax on a needle and awl machine. People redoing the older seats today use nylon thread and a single eyed needle machine.
    The stitch looks identical on the top and bottom on a needle and awl machine as it has positive locks on thread tension and has no problems sewing with the same size thread on the top and bottom. The stitching on a single needle machine does not look the same on the top and bottom for a couple of reasons; the machine has friction-tension discs and does not have positive lock tension which creates a problem pulling the bottom thread up thru the leather so a larger needle has to be used over original or thread size and one size smaller thread is used on the bottom(bobbin), the larger needle may make it hard to achieve proper stitch length. The needle and awl machine can use the correct needle size and achieve correct stitch length.
    Is this ok with you guys or do you want it exactly done like the original?
    This is only the beginning of what I see in recovered seats.
    1. Another thing I see is how the spots or clinched on the bottom of the leather and also see the wrong prong length.
    2. I see airbrushed patina instead of natural patina.
    3. Stitch count per inch is wrong.
    4. The edges are not finished were applicable or wrong size edger or cheap edger is used.
    5. Wrong finish
    6. Wrong size strapend punch is used on bags.
    Tools of the era need to be used, really. I am going to stop here, I do not know what you guys are looking for??? Can someone elaborate on how correct you want them?
    Last edited by ryan; 07-30-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks Cotten,
    Harley Davidson still makes them so I have heard and that what I’m going to get....
    Heathers Leathers looks amazing but this bike is seriously over budget and the HD one was less money
    Maybe on the next project....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Galli View Post
    Thanks Cotten,
    Harley Davidson still makes them so I have heard and that what I’m going to get....
    Heathers Leathers looks amazing but this bike is seriously over budget and the HD one was less money
    What size rosettes(conchos) do you need? Do you need scalloped(round edges) or pointed edges and what color? I will help you out, if I can, if you need leather rosettes(conchos)

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post

....Cotten
    Cotten,
    Do you need a Harley seat covered? I am getting ready to run a couple of the plain older ones with the slicked edges, not the chrome tanned seat from maybe the 60s up that has the leather rolled over the edge.
    Since you seem to be, respectively so, one of the most outspoken, I will do you one for free to hear your honest opinion on the job that I do.
    I cannot remember the year that Harley changed from the veg tanned slick edge to the chrome tanned rolled over edge.
    Last edited by ryan; 08-01-2020 at 05:25 AM.

All my projects are waiting for new owners, Ryan!

...Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Galli View Post
    Thanks Cotten,
    Beware of the new Harley Davidson seats. I bought a "Deluxe Solo" for my '65 and had to return it cuz the leather was nowhere near as thick as original and the whole skirt was off to one side by a full inch. Made in Mexico I think. Ended up having the old one redone.