Thread: 29JD crankcase oil amount

Default 29JD crankcase oil amount

Own now a 1929 JD and my experiences with that Harley are young. One of my several questions is, how much is the right amount
    of oil in the motor cankcase? It means, when I drain it, how much should it get out...
    And, second, have the original 1929 Riders Hand Book, but the fotos are bad visible. E.g. has anyone the foto at page8, mechanical
    oil pump, in a sharp Version? Thanks George

On my 1925 JD I always want to see more than 3 oz and less than 6 oz when I dumped the oil.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Schorsch View Post
    Own now a 1929 JD and my experiences with that Harley are young. One of my several questions is, how much is the right amount
    of oil in the motor cankcase? It means, when I drain it, how much should it get out...
    And, second, have the original 1929 Riders Hand Book, but the fotos are bad visible. E.g. has anyone the foto at page8, mechanical
    oil pump, in a sharp Version? Thanks George

Default 29JD crank case oil

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    On my 1925 JD I always want to see more than 3 oz and less than 6 oz when I dumped the oil.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry, thank you for your reply - helpful for me. I have 7.7 oz normally - too much I think. The ball at the hand oil pump is tight.
    May be my mechanical oil pump puts too much oil into the Motor...? George

one cause of over oiling can be that the mechanical oiler its self is worn. significant force is placed on the 2 spring loaded pins that rotate against the swash plate that causes the holes the plungers operate in to elongate. these 2 pins are responsible for metering the oil in the desired amount. if there is enough wear in those holes, even no washers behind the adjusting screw will not decrease the amount of oil enough to prevent over oiling. my understanding is 9 ounces of oil in the crank case is where the flywheels begin to drag leading to overheating.

On the VL I would say 150-200 ml of oil in the cases. More than this and it comes out of the motor. You can hold the mechanical oil pump swash plate more vertical with a longer screw at the rear, such as 037, 038 or 039, and this reduces the stroke of the little pistons inside. First check the oil pump is set up correctly - just wide open with the throttle wide open.

I have found 3oz is too little. I have much less wear running 5oz. Less than this doesn't supply enough oil to the cam/timing gears.