Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harley fiberglass car mount to the frame.

Default Harley fiberglass car mount to the frame.

Is there anything that fits between the car and the frame like a piece of rubber, belting or nylon strap?
    Thank you,
    Ryan

The HD parts books does not show any spacer. The body bolts directly to the front and rear cross bars. That is the way my fiberglass body is mounted also.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    The HD parts books does not show any spacer. The body bolts directly to the front and rear cross bars. That is the way my fiberglass body is mounted also.
    I will bolt it straight to the frame. Another question about the wheel cylinder, is it absolutely necessary to run the 1" bore wheel cylinder or can a 1.125" bore wheel cylinder be ran with no issues, I just asked because I have a couple of them? If not I found a 1" bore cylinder from the rear of a jeep that may work.
    I would think that the bores should be the same on the bike and the sidecar, but maybe not since the wheels are not in inline with each other.
    Thanks for your reply

My bike is a 1976 FL and I used the stock 87750-58 wheel cylinder (1958-79), so not a larger cylinder. My sidecar tends to over brake and I installed a inline brake pressure regulator valve plus a inline residual pressure valve. Bike has stock disc brakes and sidecar has stock drum brake. I have to keep inline pressure regulator valve turned down to lowest setting, so larger bore cylinder could be too much.

The "inline pressure regulator" should have been referred to as a brake proportioning valve which is commonly used on cars with front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.

My bike is a 1976 FL and I used the stock 87750-58 wheel cylinder (1958-79), so not a larger cylinder. My sidecar tends to over brake and I installed a inline brake pressure regulator valve plus a inline residual pressure valve. Bike has stock disc brakes and sidecar has stock drum brake. I have to keep inline pressure regulator valve turned down to lowest setting, so larger bore cylinder could be too much.
    Well, I thought I had an 1.125" bore wheel cylinder, but turns out I have 2 new .750" wheel cylinders. The 1" jeep cylinder was a flop. Since you are having issues with the 1" cylinder, I may as well try the . 750" bore in the mean time. I am familiar with the residual valve as my 66 7 litre galaxie conv has one as well as my 66 mustang, both having factory disc brakes.

Isn't part number HD 87750-58 for the sidecar the exact same part as HD 41740-58 for 58-62 big twins? I am pretty sure they are since the sidecar uses brakes, backing plate and drum from the 58-62 big twins for sidecar years-58-76?
    Last edited by ryan; 07-09-2020 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Typo 58-79 was suppose to be 58- 76

I am sure you are correct. I found the 87750-58 number yesterday in sidecar section of HD parts book, but I remember when I put my sidecar brake together from parts I ordered a wheel cylinder for a 58-62 big twin bike which would be the 41740-58. The brake line goes straight into the cylinder as opposed to at an angle on 63-up cylinder.
    I built my brake to specs as a 1958 early 1976 sidecar brake. I know late 1976-1979 has a few subtle differences, but wheel cylinder is the same.

I meant to put 58-76 in my previous post when calling out the 58-62 parts and had edited it to correct it. Even tho the part numbers 87750-58 and 41740-58 is the same part, 87750-58 is about $40 or so more in price at this point in time than the 41740-58.
    I should have had this project done 2 weeks ago for a trip, but the events I was attended was cancelled.

I see bikes with front crashbars mounted on them along with the sidecar, but the 1-1/4" crash bar I have on my bike will work with the sidecar. My bike should have the 1" bar on it, but will my stock crashbar fit or is there something else I need? Again, it is a 1969 flh.
    Thank you!