Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harley fiberglass car mount to the frame.

Buster,
    I have the correct adjustable triple tree. I set my bike up today with the different angle finder, it is now at 2 as it was at 5. I looked at a 1968 flh with sidecar and he had his crashbar mounted, but I noticed that his tie rod was rotated up and not seated against the flat, not sure how he did that. I measured his mounts and they were 10.5" where mine are 10.75".

The tie bar should be horizonal. SOunds like he angled it to avoid interference with crash bar. Tie bar needs to fit snugly into flats. relocating tie bar up and down on down tubes also slightly changes toe in of sidecar due to slope in down tubes, so tie bar needs to be permanently located prior to initial adjustment of toe in. Put tie bar where it needs to be for sidecar body to be as level as possible. I see so many with nose of sidecar pointing up into air. It would be interesting to hear what your initial toe in or toe out is with sidecar frame connected with no spacers at rear swing arm mount.

I will check my toe and give you my numbers with the one washer. I am having a hell of a time in this heat with my artificial leg, it is time for a new one which should be done in a week, and this one does not fit very well and kepts wanting to pop off and rotate around, point simply being, I am not getting as much done as I want fighting with it plus it is in the mid 90s.

I talked to the owner of the 1968 and he said it really beat him up and wore his arms out while riding the outfit. I told him he should have a steering dampner, he kept telling me that he could not run one because of "special triple tree" he had on his bike, I showed him where it went and explained how it worked, but he just did not grasp the concept. He also had one home sheet metal tab on his triple tree to hold the rake out before he tightened his bolt, I also tried to tell him about the factory tabs, but he kept saying it was an aftermarket triple tree and did not grasp that as well. I was really worried for him really on the way his outfit was set up.
    Last edited by ryan; 07-19-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    All the stock crashbars and sidecars were compatible. No special parts needed. Is your bar aftermarket or tweaked in some way? Even the '79 Classics w/sc had the same mounts as earlier and a 1-1/4 crashbar.
    I got the lean correct on the bike and the front crashbar bolted right into place, I guess this is a pretty good indicator that you have something off a couple degrees.

Sounds good. Most people I have talked to that have sidecars talk about how bad they handle. It takes some effort. They really will handle decent if you have the correct parts and keep adjusting as you ride them.