Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XLCH Stoplight Switch

Dave I would love to see some photos of black painted parts (that are normally plated) on original paint bikes. Do you have any you can share? Particularly from 1964, but other years would be interesting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    I just found one in my stuff that is cad and not BT because the brkt. is at a 90 degree. Sportster correct?
    Rich - Yes, the bracket has a bend that's approximately 90 degrees from the center line of the switch.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Gentlemen,
    I guess at this juncture, the overall consensus seems to be that either cadmium plated or black-painted switches would qualify as correct. My V.I.N. No. is in the 49XX range, so I would think its somewhere near mid-run production. My first '64 was V.I.N. 2136 (I would love to find that bike!) which was an earlier production machine and I do believe that its switch was painted black. This follows the transition from Parkerized-to-painted logic as well as the suggested timescale. Therefore, would the use of either finish on a 1964 be deemed incorrect within a reasonable level certainty? I certainly have no problem painting mine black, but prefer not to do so unless its necessary rather than optional
    Last edited by Bill Pedalino; 07-07-2020 at 04:09 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

This guy should know for sure and probably will have the correct switch. https://tatromachine.com

My 64 XLCH tank and fenders has been repainted over the original paint with spray can paint. The rest of the bike is stock right down to exhaust. I have owned it since 1994. I purchased it from a old friend that owned for about 10 years and I remember when he got it from the original owner. The bike had been sitting for 12 years before that. It was repainted by the original owner. The engine is out of the rolling chassis and the BLACK stoplight switch is still attached to the original wiring and has probably never been disconnected. The VID # starts with 20-- . That being said I don't know about later on in the year but I think that mine came painted. I used to have the bike at my house for weeks at a time in the 80s to ride it and my friend never had the chassis apart.
    Jim D

Quote Originally Posted by jim d View Post
    My 64 XLCH tank and fenders has been repainted over the original paint with spray can paint. The rest of the bike is stock right down to exhaust. I have owned it since 1994. I purchased it from a old friend that owned for about 10 years and I remember when he got it from the original owner. The bike had been sitting for 12 years before that. It was repainted by the original owner. The engine is out of the rolling chassis and the BLACK stoplight switch is still attached to the original wiring and has probably never been disconnected. The VID # starts with 20-- . That being said I don't know about later on in the year but I think that mine came painted. I used to have the bike at my house for weeks at a time in the 80s to ride it and my friend never had the chassis apart.
    So do you think that the switch was installed before the frame was painted? Are the steel lines black as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jim d View Post
    Jim,
    What you're stating makes sense. I would think that If the Cadmium-plated switches were phased-in in 1964, it would have have been happening after the 2100 + V.I.N. range if my memory of my original 1964 (V.I.N. 2136) switch is accurate. Therefore, my current bike should have a black switch. Following the above discussion and logic, this seems to make sense.
    Last edited by Bill Pedalino; 07-08-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    So do you think that the switch was installed before the frame was painted? Are the steel lines black as well?
    Ryan,
    I believe you're referring to the FLH switches which had the steel hydraulic lines?
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755