Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1947 Knucklehead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clement View Post
    The bullneck is a 30 degree rake, no? But right, I think this is probably mismatched or an earlier frame/springer. Frame does not look bullneck to me but hard to see. My research seemed to indicate that there was not an absolute discrete transition from 46 to 47 of bam........bullneck/offset. Not true? I always listen to what you say Rubone........
    Yes, Bullneck is 30, but so is the late 47 non bullneck frame (there are three frames in '47, none are used with an inline fork). Period, no exceptions.

Also, speedo is repop (and wrong style), jiffy stand is wrong, oil lines are Panhead, fender mount hardware is wrong (and installed backwards), panhead fuel shutoff valve and lines, aftermarket outer primary, missing rear stand, Missing tank rubber, missing speedo reset cover, funky custom headbolts, footboard mounts, wrong seat tee, wrong "Y" pipe, and I suspect a fair bit more with better pics.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Yes, Bullneck is 30, but so is the late 47 non bullneck frame (there are three frames in '47, none are used with an inline fork). Period, no exceptions.
    Right, I wasn't suggesting an inline should be matched to a bullneck forward frame with any 30-degree rake. What I was saying is I have heard of documented early 47s with the old frame and inlines. But perhaps that's what I get from listening to HuntingHarleys..........I know..........I know...........
    Phil Clement

Phil, a lot of good information from Craig and Robbie. I spotted some more things to be corrected. Some are very minor and some are not. Repro? tank badges, chrome tappet guides, wrong transmission filler plug, repro rear chain guard, missing lock washers on primary cover screws, earlier steering damper handle, repro front brake rod, too many rivets in rear fender hinge, mismatched grips, headlight lens loose?, missing front brake able handlebar clip, clamp?? on rear cylinder pipe, missing kick pedal axle nut and wrong pedal rubber studs, wrong spark cable to frame clip, missing wiring clips, wrong rear brake cross shaft hardware, wrong battery cover wing nuts, wrong shift rod end. Hope this helps with your decision on whether to buy the bike or not. Do you have Palmer's Third edition yet? (Little plug there for Bruce.)
    Dave

Am I the only one suspicious of the VIN? Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clement View Post
    Thanks, Craig, that's helpful. Lot of details there to consider. I'm sure this is a pieced together bike but the devil's in the details. Any thoughts on the VIN? I also couldn't decide if the front fender was aftermarket........among other things. But I keep hacking away at learning. And my Palmers are on the east coast and I'm here in Montana, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    Am I the only one suspicious of the VIN? Jerry
    No, but the pictures of it sort of suck!!
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Robbie; You are correct. The VIN picture is clear, except the VIN is fuzzy. And who took the grinder to the top of the timing plug boss? Or did that happen with a restamp job?
    Craig

Dave; The tank badges look to have proper patina and paint colors.
    Last edited by 41craig; 06-22-2020 at 09:50 AM.