Powder coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder coat

Dropped off my frame, hubs, shift/stand bracket, foot stand and bottom of battery mount for powder coating today. It's amazing the choices you have today and when I said paint them black the question was asked do I want gloss or semi gloss and given a sample for each. I was afraid gloss would be too shiny and said go with semi gloss, but now i'm questioning my choice. Should I call them and change to gloss or is semi gloss better. Also I was pleased with the cost, $300. I tried to paint the hubs using rattle can paint and spent almost $30 for primer, paint and clear at automotive store. When done I could flake the paint off with my finger nail, getting the 2 hubs powder coated was about $25. I know some can get this done cheaper, but this is in San Diego Ca and we pay a premium for everything here.

All factory paint was gloss. Over time it faded to a semi. What are you trying to do??
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I'm not going for a full restoration, mostly it will be a rebuild. I'm trying to be correct where I can but my real motivation is to put this project together that i purchased 38 years ago and ride it some before I get too old. When shown the gloss sample I was afraid it would be too shiny, and was also told that semi gloss would not show scratches as readily as gloss. Do not want to overthink this. Oh yea, this is a 52 PAN.

Comment

Just had some stuff done this week for a 30 year old Sportster. Semi-black, which is one step down from gloss, looks like a satin black. I was pleased for my application, but for your frame gloos might be a better choice if you are looking for the bike to look new from the factory. Good luck.

Comment

I had mine done in gloss in November. First time powdering in 15 years or so.

Really happy with it. Almost the equal of my clear coated chassis.

Comment

I had my frame done in Gloss 80, which is a step down from full gloss. It has enough gloss for me, looks like paint without the "plastic-like look I've seen with some of the high gloss applications.
            Good luck with the project.

Comment

Based on replies here and what I have read on another site there seems to be mixed opinions concerning using gloss or semi gloss black. It seems no matter which directions folks went in they were happy with the results. I think as long as you have a nice fresh foundation to build on that's what really matters. Don't plan on getting my bike judged but maybe just a car/bike show for fun. So I guess semi-gloss it is and I'm also sure I will be happy with the results. Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

Comment

Working...
              X