1923 Chief Oiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1923 Chief Oiling

Where does the oil feed into the engine on a 1923 Chief ? surely not just the front cylinder as seems the case to me or have I missed something ? it's an age thing ?? (not the bikes) !! Hope all being safe and well , garage time - as usual for me anyway . best wishes , stay safe , Ken
    Although the last ride I had was 50 miles on my 1912 Excelsior single on March the 22nd along with three friends on 1913 Excelsior twin , 1913 Thor and 1912 Triumph !! Just managed before shut down . Great ride , lovely sunny but cool weather !! Can't wait to get out there again !!
    Ken

Ken,

Indeed, all the oil discharged from the oil pump ( a few drops per minute!) is directed through the external line and deposited on the front piston, just below the oil rings. It wasn't until 1928 that Indian did away with that oil line and at least attempted to pump it into the drilled pinion shaft, flywheel and crank pin. That connection was made with a felt seal, so marginal at best and so most of the oil just went into the timing chest. I've been running my 24 Chief for decades with this external pipe, it even survived the cannonball with a sidecar and passenger, so it does work once you get it adjusted correctly.

Gene

Comment

Hello Gene ,
      Many thanks for your confirmation , I am building this from a mix of bits from boxes and realised after putting oil in the tank and finding it all in the crankcase in the morning that the oil pump is missing two ball valves . I have some balls (must have for starting this jigsaw) [sorry about that] and have a mix of springs , any idea of the spring measurements as no indication in parts books . I have sorted a couple of quite soft springs that are holding oil from leaking past but don't know if they are too strong !! I suppoose the only way of testing is to start the engine and rely on the hand pump for oil , with the external pipe disconected and count the drips !? Then connect if oil is feeding and go for a ride , then see how much is in the crankcase ! Have other things to do before starting anyway . Hope you are keeping well . Best wishes , Ken
      Ken

Comment

Ken,

You are correct, just find some small springs that fit. They are short, relatively soft springs. Also, lap the seats for the balls as well. I weld a steel ball on a rod and use that with a dot of lapping compound. I'd work the check ball assembly over, then fill the tank and leave the pipe to the front cylinder disconnected at the pump overnight with a catch pan under, see if they hold. If so, start it up and see if it is discharging oil from the check valve. If it is, you're good there. Fill the oil line and reconnect it then ride it!

Good luck!
        Gene

Comment

Hello Gene , I have done all that and it seems to be holding oil but have a few more things to do before it is ready for a start . Thanks for your help , that's what these forums are for , good to receive and give help when can .
          Best wishes , Ken
          Ken

Comment

Working...
          X