Thread: Technical Data on Early Indians

Default Technical Data on Early Indians

Are there any publications for early Indians similar to what Bruce Palmer has produced for Harley's?
    I've seen quite a bit on later Chiefs, but very little on the earlier bikes.
    I have a '12, 14, '15 and '17 that I would like to get started on, but I don't know where to find detailed data
    similar to what's available for the 101 Scouts or Harley's.
    Can anyone steer me on this?
    Thanks
    Sam

I'm not aware of anything like Palmer's book for Indians or Harleys in the year range you're looking for. I have a fairly complete 1917 Indian Power Plus that I can supply assembly pictures of but as far as correct part finishes and correct parts / year fitment your best bet is to ask specific questions here on the forum.

Steve Slaminko

Steve
    I seemed to have stepped into a puddle with this '17 that I have.
    I acquired a nice '17 frame with forks and complete rear suspension in the early '80's with the purchase of an Excelsior.
    I had it blasted and primed before I hung it from the rafters.
    Many years later I bought a fairly complete what I thought was a '16 Powerplus from a friend of mine that was completely apart except for the engine. It was also in very nice shape - just apart.
    About 10 years ago I was laying out everything I had prior to restoration when I determined that my nice engine was for a '17 and not a '16 like the rest of the chassis.
    I believe a '15 and '16 share the same chassis, so all I had to do was assemble a '15 engine which I have most of except for the intake domes (is anyone reproducing nice intake domes yet??).
    I really could use some detailed pictures of a '17 model to match up some of the many extra early Indian parts I have scattered around here. With detailed pictures I can determine what else I need that's different on the '17.
    To your knowledge, are there any reproduction (or original) fenders and tank available for the '17 Powerplus?
    Thanks
    Sam

Sam,
    Here's a few overall pictures of my 17. If you tell me what additional pictures you'd like to have I can try and get them. I can't verify that anything on my bike is spot on correct but I believe most of the major parts are. The seat assembly and the taillight are likely not correct and the modern mag for sure is not correct.

The only source of parts I'm aware of is Ziggy in Ontario (he advertises in the classifies in the club mag). Others on the forum will hopefully respond with additional information. 004.jpg006.jpg005.jpg016.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, Sam!
    I got a set of '17 tanks from Geloman.
    http://www.geloman.com/html/indian-powerplus-parts.html

Dale

Hi Sam, I have two 17’s, one I restored the other is original. If you have some specific photos or information your looking for, I might be able to help.
    Todd