Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vin looks odd

I have a 1939 Indian 4 engine. There is no dash between the letters and numbers on the serial number. I have never seen a dash in a 4 cylinder serial number. My engine also has the M on the serial number boss and not on the crankcase. I believe Robert's engine has an original unmolested serial number.

I happened to notice this 1939 Indian 4 power plant on eBay. The number does have a dash. Just another piece of data to ponder. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-1939-In...53.m1438.l264939-12.jpg

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

Quote Originally Posted by koanes View Post
    When I went to the DMV to register my 39 Chief, I was told they would change the I to a one because they do no recognize the I in any VIN. After a long argument with the grumpy clerk my wife grabbed me and the paperwork and drug me out the door as the State Patrolman approached with his hand on his pistol. Apparently DMV computers cannot differentiate a 1 from an I. Bull hockey!
    Funny you say this. I have gotten 2 tickets from NYC so far, from the same vehicle. One for speeding in a school zone and one for non-payment of a toll. Funny thing is, they show a pic of the car and then show the registration as being for a historical motorcycle. I don't want to put my plate number out here but lets just say the camera and computer did confuse the letter I with the number one. After sending a pic of my plate and bike they did void out the tickets. I hope anyhow.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Manheimer View Post
    Kyle,
    You must live in New Jersey. I have never had an easy time titling an old motorcycle here. One of my favorites was when I titled my 1972 BMW R75/5. The title must have the mileage as SHOWN on the odometer. I wrote what it said, 22,865 miles. I took it to MVC and the agent told me that it must have 122,865 due to its age. I replied that the odometer reading was exactly what I wrote, as SHOWN on the odometer. Her reply was "Well I am changing it to 122,865 miles." Not wanting to arouse the local constable by arguing with her, I replied "OK". I got my title with no further problem. When I did a top end it was bored 10 over so it probably did have 122,865 miles but what on earth gives these people the right to change the mileage at their discretion?
    Simple, ego and their assumption they have power.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Final Update: I got Iowa to correct the vin after some arm twisting.

Thanks for all the help.

Sincerely
    Robert Foster
    Omaha

Quote Originally Posted by grobertfoster@gmail.com View Post
    Final Update: I got Iowa to correct the vin after some arm twisting.

Thanks for all the help.

Sincerely
    Robert Foster
    Omaha
    Just curious, Robert; how do you subject a DMV employee into an arm twisting? I just went through this here in Florida last week and I can tell you that neither arm twisting, or ass-kissing will work I did get my title, but I had to comply to strict Florida laws. I think Fl, and Ca. are difficult now because of all the dirt-bags that migrate to our sunny climates.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I can attest to the fact that there is no arm twisting or ass-kissing CA DMV clerks or CHP officers. You do everything they want with a smile on your face and you will eventually get your title. But it's their way or the highway. After two months and three trips to the DMV and CHP I just got my title and registration today.

Dana

Eric, I don't know about dirt bags but it was like that at the DMV 60 years ago out here. Have your s__t in order and know the game better that the clerk.
    DrSprocket

WOW!!! You guys must be real jerks when you go to the DMV! I've never had a problem here in Colorado, but I made it a point to go there just after getting off work at the Fire Department and I stayed in uniform so maybe that helped! Problem is I'm retired now and had to turn in all the blue stuff to the quartermaster!

In reality though, it's like DrSprocket said. Know the rules, even better than they do, have all your documents in order, go in with an attitude of polite confidence and it all works out.

In actuality, the jerks are on the other side of the counter! Here in New York, a visit to the DMV fills me with trepidation. This under-worked and overstaffed division of the state takes pride in finding ways to refuse your requests in regard to any vehicle transaction. I like to use same-year plates on my older bikes, and at one point the crotchety person behind the counter informed me that in order to do this, the insurance card would have to say "historical" on it. When I went to register and plate my '38, I brought the insurance card with the word "historical" emblazoned on it on it even though I hadn't yet found a decent period plate. When asked why the card said historical, I explained that I was going to replace the plate they were about to give me when I found a same-year plate. Boy, was that a mistake! I was told this time that if the card said historical, I would have to have a new plate with the word historical on it. They didn't have any and wouldn't let me register the vehicle. I figured I'd try another office, one that only operates one day a week. Sure enough, the transaction went smoothly, and I wasn't told I needed an historical plate. Not wanting to waste a chance to say 'I told you so', I went back to the other office and proudly displayed my new registration and plate! (from a distance, mind you - I didn't want anybody snatching the goods out of my hands!) I guess the moral of the story is "don't believe everything some weasel bureaucrat tells you"!