Thread: You just never know.

Default You just never know.

Just after I posted the Honda resto video I drove past my neighbors place across the street and there was a bike sitting behind his house I never noticed before. It looked old and like a smoker so I turned around to have a look. I knocked on his door and he said he just pulled it out from under a tarp. After 34 years. He is original owner of the 48 year old 1971 Yamaha R5-B sitting there. It was in very good condition. Original everything with 6,000 miles. Turns over, has 3 keys, tune up kit, title and owner and shop manual. Tires are crap. Sprockets too. Tank ain't bad. He said he has the tank emblems somewhere.

It's now in my garage. I said I never would restore another motorcycle 3 years ago. Ya just never know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW! All that time under a tarp and it looks that GOOD? WHEW! Great find! and good luck with it. "IF" It were mine, I would probably just get it running and ride it like that. Well... you need the YAMAHA tank emblems first.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

That is exactly my plan. Ordered the new tires, fork seals, battery strap, air cleaner and missing steering dampener. Can't find a replacement seat cover though. Don't think I can save the old seat cover. Lots of small tears. Maybe a RD350 cover will work. Left fork tube has to be replaced too. Way to much rust. Right tube can be saved.

I haven't restored a smoker since I restored 2 Tohatsu's. A 1962 Runpet Sport 50(factory production racer) and a regular Runpet 50. Both all original. I was lucky enough to find an old parts stash with all the hard to find goodies. Again, Dumb luck! They were a blast to ride around the grounds at Road America.

They are only original once.

Pem, that looks like a good score.

The tank badges from that era were used in a few different models.
    The main issue I have found with two strokes that have sat for a time is the crankshaft seals drying out and becoming hard. Sucks air from outside instead of the crankcase.
    Also, less common, is the reed valves take a "set" if they sit fore a while. Can allow blowback during the intake cycle.
    Either way, good luck in getting it running again.
    Cheers,
    Mick

I like it alot. Way cool pem.
    AMCA #765

I've been searching the net for a white paint code or? for my 1971 Yamaha R5b with no luck. Checked my owners manual and shop manual. Nothing. I'm color blind and thought my bike was gold and white and my buddy tells me it's white and tangerine. Who knew!

Any ideas would be appreciated. I only need to touch up two spots the size of a quarter. Both on the bottom corners of the tank. Otherwise it is in really good shape. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRY THESE FOLKS https://hvccycle.net/seat-covers/ or join a owners forum or owners club, these old skeeter killers were very popular in their day, so resources are out there.

Thanks Steve. I already dropped a wad of cash there and their website doesn't show but 4 cans of paint. I just found a site overseas that has my colors I think. They said my bike is Candy Marine Orange and Clean White. A little touch up bottle is $13.50 plus postage.