No announcement yet.

Wauseon gate time question ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great time this weekend! So happy that the gate wasn't open on Wednesday.

Comment

A more official type notice "earlier" would have been appreciated.

Comment

I have no problem with a strict opening vending time...but some of us are not local to the area and take the week off and like to camp with our friends on the grounds(not on the vendor spots)until it is time to move to our spots...

Comment

Did any members take pictures at Wauseon?
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

thanks to fred and everyone else who put on the wauseon meet. i had a great time again even with the heat. can't imagine sweltering in racing leathers out on the track so hats off to all the racers - especially the New Hampshire boys! i have to agree with fred on the strict opening time and think it makes for a smoother event, especially when it's run by volunteers.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              Did any members take pictures at Wauseon?
              I took about 300 photos . .. I'll toss some up for you on a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
                I took about 300 photos . .. I'll toss some up for you on a new thread.
                Thanks. Wauseon always brings out many of the best bikes.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I've been going to Wauseon off and on for the better part of two decades, and I haven't missed a meet since 2013. I've noticed over the past three years or so that indeed Thursday is becoming the new start date of the meet.

This year it was particularly noticeable. A fair number of people I spoke to had sold many of their choice items by Thursday evening to early arrivals. I'm somewhat OK with that -- a buck is a buck and I won't tell a vendor how they should or shouldn't conduct their business.

However, it clearly was taking a toll by Friday evening. There was a fair number of vendors who packed up Friday and by 10am on Saturday a bunch more had already left. The heat wasn't necessarily the issue -- they had sold a lot of stuff and just wanted to get on the road. By noon, a solid 25% of vendors were gone or packing. This isn't unusual, but it seemed a much higher number than in years past. I watched folks loading up bikes I was actually headed over to talk with them about. Not to jaw on -- but to buy. This was at 11am on Saturday. They wouldn't haggle because they'd already loaded the bike up and were planning to leave by noon. When I asked one guy why he wouldn't even talk with me about price -- his response was "cause I can sell it at Davenport."

None of this is a complaint -- just a reality that the meet has gotten large enough for Thursday to be just as important as Friday for those looking for "that" part. The packing up earlier and earlier each year is just disappointing for those who can only spare one or two days. If you arrive on Saturday . . . you really miss quite a bit.

I still enjoy Wauseon quite a bit -- but I won't be bothering with Saturdays going forward. I'll shift to Thursday/Friday. I don't really want to -- but it's also a major investment to make it to the meet and if Thursday is the new Friday, well then that is that.

Comment

The foot traffic was definitely less on Thurs.& Fri.then previous year.

Comment

For me, the heat was a HUGE issue. I was completely tapped out by the end of Friday.
                      I have never left that meet before 5:00 on Saturday but this year was the exception. 115 deg with the heat index.
                      Two days of that and I was toast.
                      I was overjoyed to roll out of there Friday evening.
                      Mark
                      Mark Masa
                      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Chuck, Our Dixon meet has become a Thursday first day meet also. Thursday was the old timers and friends deals and such. Friday was the day for the up and comers and folks that could get a day off to try and get a deal, Saturday was for the citizens (spectators, t-shirt buyers, food buyers. kids and families and such). Now its get there Thursday for prime regardless, Friday scraps, and citizens on Saturday. Just the way it goes and we adjust accordingly.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                          Saturday was for the citizens (spectators, t-shirt buyers, food buyers. kids and families and such).
                          FWIW, I`ve noticed a sharp decline in "citizens" at Wauseon over the past 25 years. Seems like 95% insiders. Not sure why.

Comment

FWIW Eight, we are getting older and the desire is has slipped to the "lets plan on going", not what time/day do you want to be there! At least that's how it works for myself and friends from my generation.

Comment

All I want to know is can I get in Thursday without a vendor pass?

Thanks Steve

Comment

One thing that seemed to upset some of the "Zombies" beyond the gates was all the people that were on the grounds Wednesday and before ...was told by the Head lady that those were people who had volunteered to work...she said it took about a 100 people to put on the show...that's a lot of people on the grounds before the rest of us...

Comment

Working...
                                X