Tire choice 1965 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire choice 1965 FLH

Hi guys, now I have come so far in my restoration project of my 1965 FLH, so it's time to order tires.. Here in Europe we have the Coker Classic or Shinko Super Classic 270 to choose from if you want to get the white wall (1”). I need advice on the choice of tires and then with regard to road ability, mileage and similarity with the original.

I have run both and and they seem to handle the same ,I have put dozens of the shinkos on vintage machines and had no complaints and the price is half of the other brand. Mileage seems the same with maybe the shinko on top. Shinko more true to the Goodyear super eagle which would have been the tire that would have come on the bike that year thru 1967 when the Goodyear speedgrip was introduced

Comment

My recent experience with Cokers is 'inconsistency' I mounted one for a friend, (on a 65) with 1oz weights on 5 consecutive spokes the tire was still heavy 180-degs across. We deflated & rotated the tire multiple times and the heavy spot was same location on the tire. My friend talked to Coker & had to order a 2nd tire, then they they took #1 back. Tire #2 balanced with 2 weights, spaced a couple spokes apart. If it's not a regular rider, but more for show, the whitewall on the Coker is much more attractive, the edges on the Shinko bleed into the white.
      to add, both are terrible on Grooved Roads!!

Comment

After two years with the Shinko 240's on my 1970 FLH, they are going in the garbage. I had one replaced under warranty, it became out of round. On a truing stand, the wheel rim was no more then 1/16" out, but the tire was 1/4" or more out, bad. Second one did the same after about 1000 miles. Causes a nasty high speed side to side wobble in the back of the bike. At highway speed with no passenger, it got way too sketchy to ignore. On my way up to the Yankee meet last year I got desperate and pulled over to let 10 psi out of each tire, made it only better enough to carry on for 20 more miles. I loved the look, I was trying to match Goodyear Speedgrips, but as a tire for a "rider" they are junk. Dunlops on the wheels right now, winter upgrades in progress so no report on the Dunlops to date. Modern tire and tread, i am sure they will ride great. But I had to give up the "look". Good luck.

Comment

What model of Dunlop's are you running? I have Avon's on my 65 FLH now but they don't do good when riding roads with rain grooves so I'll looking for a different tire.
          Bob
          Bob McDonnell AMCA #5480

Comment

I’ve got Shinkos on my 65 and have no problems...
            Attached Files

Comment

Have very good experience at dry or wet roads with the Continental K112 on my 65FLH - GeorgeContinental K112.jpg

Comment

The Conti K112, or the Avon Safety Mileage tire work well on older bikes, as well as having the tall profile these bikes had with the original tires. This past Spring I put Coker Super Eagle thin white walls on my 65.
                I immediately found them to be very "slimey", and took several hundred miles to begin to behave normally. I've never had this happen before with new tires, and it was actually scary.
                VPH-D

Comment

My 65 had Coker repops on it when I got it. When I finished the resto, I put them back on, for the sake of correctness. One ride on grooved pavement (we have lots of it around here) convinced me to trash them. Anything over 20-30 mph on the grooves and the front end would shake violently. Put some modern Shinkos on for ride quality, and it's an entirely different bike.
                  Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Working...
                  X