Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: '27 JD Cut Down Project - SWAN

i have a pair of square headed brass plugs, plumbing i believe they were. they don't have a taper in them, i can't remember what i did to get rid of the taper, they are straight now. i seem to recall i ran a straight die over them so they would thread the full distance of the holes. the threads don't get goo in them. also i use those mult-colored plastic female vacuum plugs you can buy assorted sizes at the auto parts store, i push an over-size plug in the threaded hole, those usually work pretty good to keep goo out also.

Excellent, thank you Steve.

For larger openings, I like using expandable tapered plugs. They are available in a large range of sizes.

not much progress to see here unless you look closely, spent a few hours last evening getting the speedo parts on the bike, the J-M speedo is on the tank as well as the related parts on the rear of the bike. all that remains before i go for the very first start up is to get the speedo cable installed (waiting for it), and also get speedo lamp and brake light wired. the MEK smell is almost gone out of main gas tank, been off-gassing for one month now. my nose doesn't smell MEK in the reserve and oil tanks. kind of kicking myself for not installing a sealed main shaft drive ball bearing instead of going with original roller setup, not exactly loving that aluminum pan underneath.....

20200523_175054.jpg20200523_175142.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 05-24-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar

It still looks good Steve.

Any idea how long it will take for the cable to arrive?

John

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    It still looks good Steve.

Any idea how long it will take for the cable to arrive?

John
    Gave the measurement for the cable to Janus today, sounds like at least 2 weeks before he gets to it, so might be as long a a month. i wired the stop light earlier today, so all that's left now is wiring the speedometer lamp once i have the cable to attach the lamp to. i'm waiting for an air filter to arrive. once i have the air filter, there's no reason not to start it. Doubt i can let waiting for a speedometer cable another month hold me up from riding until then...