Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I looking in the wrong places or are these hard to find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I looking in the wrong places or are these hard to find.

Hopefully I've been looking in the wrong places and there are boat loads of these around. Maybe the parts to make them.

PA060004.jpg
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

They are actually pretty thin on the ground Steve. Many fell victim to the chopper craze of the '60s/'70s and were cut up, extended , shaved, etc. I had trouble finding good parts 30 years ago! Lots of lowers had fender mount ears cut off, damper rods were crudely welded on to extend, fork trees were shaved and chromed, stems changed. I still see an occasional long one for sale, not much in stock parts. And keep in mind there are several variations in size as OEM. The high ground clearance parts are different than the standard ones. Not what you wanted to hear I am sure, but kind of how it is for K and early XL forks.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I had quite a few mostly complete ones at one point. Sold them all on Ebay and almost to man they went to Japan.
      I know I have one slider in the Sportster pile but I fear its missiing its fender brackets. I'll dig it out and report back.

Comment

Hi Robbie and sswaney. I’m in the final stages of collecting parts for a couple of XLR's that I’m coaxing back into existence.
        It seems that I may have left my “look for frontend parts” to the last minute.
        I found the springs and 1 set of sliders quite easily, but have found no dampeners.
        I rang our local parts suppliers (used and new) and drew a blank.
        After some perplexed head scratching and trawling through eBay, I came to the niggling feeling that these little fellas aren’t reclusive….they’re endangered.

The reason for posting this query was to get a broader impression before giving up.
        A mate leant me the dampeners in the picture so I could get dimensions and lengths.

As Robbie mentioned, there are various lengths and there are a set of KRTT “shorts” in the picture. There are also other lengths in springs to suit KR, KRTT, XLR, and 1" longer for various XL's.
        I fluked a chance buy from a local guy who had a good range of sizes.
        If anyone knows the different lengths of springs
        46056-68R Fork spring (short),
        46057-68R fork spring (medium)
        46058-68 Fork spring (long)
        46057-52 (1" longer)

sswaney, Thanks for the offer of the fork slider. If it is the non brake side, or you come across any dampeners, or the small parts for them, I’m in the market.

I might have to throw the sheet off the lathe and oil it up.
        Thanks for the info Robbie.
        Regards Steve

PA060001.jpg
        Last edited by Steve Little; 10-06-2018, 08:28 PM.
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
          Hi Robbie and sswaney. I’m in the final stages of collecting parts for a couple of XLR's that I’m coaxing back into existence.
          It seems that I may have left my “look for frontend parts” to the last minute.
          I found the springs and 1 set of sliders quite easily, but have found no dampeners.
          I rang our local parts suppliers (used and new) and drew a blank.
          After some perplexed head scratching and trawling through eBay, I came to the niggling feeling that these little fellas aren’t reclusive….they’re endangered.

The reason for posting this query was to get a broader impression before giving up.
          A mate leant me the dampeners in the picture so I could get dimensions and lengths.

As Robbie mentioned, there are various lengths and there are a set of KRTT “shorts” in the picture. There are also other lengths in springs to suit KR, KRTT, XLR, and 1" longer for various XL's.
          I fluked a chance buy from a local guy who had a good range of sizes.
          If anyone knows the different lengths of springs
          46056-68R Fork spring (short),
          46057-68R fork spring (medium)
          46058-68 Fork spring (long)
          46057-52 (1" longer)

sswaney, Thanks for the offer of the fork slider. If it is the non brake side, or you come across any dampeners, or the small parts for them, I’m in the market.

I might have to throw the sheet off the lathe and oil it up.
          Thanks for the info Robbie.
          Regards Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22973[/ATTACH]

http://www.harleykmodel.com

This will get you a lot further. Deep sporty and k model knowledge is harder to come by than other hd products.

Several k model forum members are in Australia and can sort you.

Comment

Hopefully I've been looking in the wrong places and there are boat loads of these around. Maybe the parts to make them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22971[/ATTACH]
            Steve - I have a friend that has a big cache of early XL/K parts and he is an experienced international shipper. Here is his contact info if you would like to tell him what you are looking for specifically.

Cliff McGauhey
            legendsmc@netscape.net

Mike Love

Comment

Hi Chuck.
              Thanks very much for the link. I had a look through the technical list at that site but there is nothing on the specific length of springs. The spring length information isn’t listed in the KR, XLR parts manual or the Specification/Instructions manual, but it may be in one of the racing dope booklets. I don’t have any of those so I will make a few more inquiries.

Hi Mike.
              Thanks for the link. I sent Cliff a message this morning with descriptions and a picture attached.
              I really appreciate the lead you've given.

Another picture of a rare part for your general entertainment.
              The rare triple tree is in the bottom item in each picture.
              Regards Steve

PA080002.jpg

PA080004.jpg
              Steve Little
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hi Chuck.
                Thanks very much for the link. I had a look through the technical list at that site but there is nothing on the specific length of springs. The spring length information isn’t listed in the KR, XLR parts manual or the Specification/Instructions manual, but it may be in one of the racing dope booklets. I don’t have any of those so I will make a few more inquiries.

Hi Mike.
                Thanks for the link. I sent Cliff a message this morning with descriptions and a picture attached.
                I really appreciate the lead you've given.

Another picture of a rare part for your general entertainment.
                The rare triple tree is in the bottom item in each picture.
                Regards Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22978[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22979[/ATTACH]
                Steve: you misunderstood what I meant. The technical section of the K model site won't sort you out and these sorts of questions are covered necessarily by the dopes. What will sort you out is posting this EXACT same question to the K model forum. While many of the members there (me included) are AMCA members; few post over here. I know for a fact they have the information you need and I know of several members who are very, very familiar with XLRs.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Hi Chuck.
                  I had another look at the web site you suggested and somehow three hours disappeared.
                  I usually only look at the AMCA web site and another. Now it seems, I’ve got another site to read.
                  I looked at the pictures of the group’s founders and researchers. I recognized a couple of them from my last trip to Davenport (2016) when I spent some time with them.
                  They were camped 2 rows from the pedestrian walkway to the side car park…or, right across from Fat Bob.
                  A guy called Dr Dick saw a nice twin skin primary that I was carrying and had just bought for $80. He got very excited and made me walk back to the seller to see if he had any more.
                  I said “there wasn’t” but he wasn’t having any truck with that, and we had to walk back and check.
                  Regards Steve

PA090001.jpg

PA090002.jpg
                  Steve Little
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

I know someone who may have some Steve, but I'd be too frightened to ask. He's big and scary

Comment

This complete rod and valve assembly was also in the parts lent to me. Because the metals are dissimilar, and moisture had got into the equation, the little alloy cap had locked into the steel tube by galvanic reaction. It may have sat in water or the rider at the time didn’t ever change the fork oil. I sprayed penetrant around the cap and did a couple of light heat cycles to try and break the seal. I made the tool in the picture and started some moderate back and forth pressure. I was about to give in after 5 minutes when I heard a click. More penetrant and more back n forward action and I had 1/16” movement. It took about 20 minutes, but my persistence paid off.

PA100027.jpg

PA100025.jpg
                      Steve Little
                      Australia.
                      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Well I am no help Steve. I pulled that stray slider out of the Sportster pile but it is of the 71-72 only variety. Happily it still has it's fender tabs.
                        And while I was searching I dug through the pile but found no earlier bits or pieces.
                        Slider is heading to Ebay soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sswaney View Post
                          Well I am no help Steve. I pulled that stray slider out of the Sportster pile but it is of the 71-72 only variety. Happily it still has it's fender tabs.
                          And while I was searching I dug through the pile but found no earlier bits or pieces.
                          Slider is heading to Ebay soon.
                          I appreciate you taking the time and getting your hands dirty. Thanks for looking mate.
                          Steve Little
                          Australia.
                          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Another hard to find part.

PA090001_1.jpg

PA090015.jpg

Usual loose chain damage.

PA090017.jpg

PA090020.jpg
                            Steve Little