No announcement yet.

1955 FLH Oil Tank Decals and Front Fender Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone. I believe my questions have been answered.

Comment

STOP!!!
      Chris Haynes or "Curmudgeon" is wrong. The 1955 Front Fender Emblems were NICKEL plated not chromed.
      RobG.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG View Post
        STOP!!!
        Chris Haynes or "Curmudgeon" is wrong. The 1955 Front Fender Emblems were NICKEL plated not chromed.
        RobG.
        Mine is Chrome.
        H-D replaced Nickle plating with Chrome in the mid 1930's. Chrome plating is basically invisible. The shiny silver look is actually Nickle. The Chrome is a protective finish over the nickle.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
          ...Chrome plating is basically invisible...
          But you can smell it, Chris!

Or at least I can.

Never had my nose on the subject badge, but earlier chromed brass badges can be subject to too much love, and polished to the nickel with care.
          (But lots were trashed to the brass, of course.

They still don't smell that bad...)

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

1955 front fender emblem.

Hi Chris,
            Hope you are well, good of you to get back on this.
            I've got one NOS 1955 Fender Emblem and four unrestored used, and all of mine are definitely nickel plated. They are all packed away somewhere in a pile of boxes, so unfortunately it is not easy to find them to take photos. I do have photos of one which I took some time ago and they are attached.
            I also distinctly remember reading in some genuine Harley literature from late 1954 that the new 1955 emblem was nickel plated. That is packed away somewhere as well.
            Are you specifically referring to the 1955 front fender emblem or fender Nameplates in general?
            Best Wishes, Rob.

Comment

Rob!

I can't smell through the monitor of course,
              but the weathering on the top of the badge in your pics suggests the plating was indeed quite thin without peeling, as often nickel (alone) was.

The underside is more of a photopuzzle, where artificial colors from lights and stuff morph.
              Broadly, traditional "bright" nickels have a gold to white tint, traditional chromes have a white to blue tint, and anything like your pic suggests an anodized or zinc reaction.

Cad on brass is a different animal. Wouldn't choke if it was.

Wish I could get one under my nose, before it gets too old.
              (Its sad when a dog can't hunt any more. Especially when its served you well all your life.)

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-11-2018, 04:41 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hello, hope you are well. We exchanged a few messages maybe 3 years ago. Your nose is good, it is Nickel on these 1955 fender emblems.
                I have the one NOS and four unrestored used ones, and they are all Nickel. There is so much I don't know, but I can easily tell the difference between Chrome and Nickel, especially on the NOS 1955 emblem.
                I expect this can also be confirmed by a photo of the 1955 emblem in the Bruce Palmer book, there is bound to be one in there.
                I thought I should say something because these emblems are rare and expensive, and it would be a shame if anyone doing a restoration had the emblem chromed when it should be nickel plated.
                Be Good, Rob.

Comment

Robg,
                  Here is the word from the 1955 New Model Announcement. "The passing of the Harley-Davidson's 50th Anniversary finds a new medallion in bright chrome finish gracing the front fender."
                  The MoCo says they are Chrome. Mine were chrome.
                  Last edited by Chris Haynes; 03-11-2018, 08:19 PM.
                  Be sure to visit;

Comment

Hi Chris,
                    My 1955 emblems are definitely all Nickel plated. My NOS one came in the original factory sealed small Harley envelope, and it is Nickel plated. As well as the ones I have, there were another 3 that passed through my hands and they were all Nickel plated. I quess we will just keep going around in circles on this.
                    After I move and I finally empty all my boxes I will post photos of all my 1955 fender emblems. Attached photo of an unrestored original paint Atomic Blue 1955 Hydra showing the emblem which has never seen a bit of chrome.
                    Rob.

Comment

The funny thing about chrome plating is that shiny silver looking finish you see is nickel. The chrome is transparent and simply a protective finish for the nickel.
                      Be sure to visit;

Comment

You are certainly right there Chris. Bruce Palmer's book has a nice factory photo showing the 1955 FLH, FL, and KH emblems lined up together.
                        Take care, Rob.

Comment

I know things change in production. Although they announced the medallion was chrome it is possible that the MoCo changed finishes. Although I have never seen Nickel plating on one the one pictured by RobG certainly appears not to have the protective chrome layer on it. Possibly a part made as a replacement after production? Who can say? All the medallions I have had were definitely bright chrome.
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

I have a nos 1955 flh badge that came out of roeder Harley in ohio you interested ? not cheep !

Comment

Hi Tom. I appreciate you getting in touch. Can you send me a few good quality photos? Let me know what the price is as well, I don't expect it to be cheap.
                              You can email me at : robsharleyd@yahoo.com
                              Thank you, Rob.

Comment

just found it it was packed up since Wauseon last year my computer can receive but cant send can send pictures from my phone what is your cell number ????

Comment

Working...
                                X