Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 101 Scout... going to take a while

One thing about Covit-19 is that now there's time to work on the bike. I've been chipping away at a bunch small stuff and decided it was time to true up the wheels and mount the tires.

The rear wheel spun fairly true and all I needed to do is make some small corrections to the side wobbles and then torque the spokes. I cut off any of the spokes protruding on the inside and mounted the tire and tube by hand (really, it was two hands and two feet to get it on!)... but all in all the rear wheel was not that big a project:

Now for the front, a whole different ball game! I don't have a truing stand so I rigged up pointers, both for side to side trueness and radial trueness:

This is when the fun began....the front wheel was way out radially, a 1/4" or more in two spots opposite each other. To get this wheel round instead of oval required what felt like thousands of half turns on the spokes. And the biggest issue I had is that the nipples have only two flats on them, so when you turn the nipple and your wrench contacts the adjacent nipple and stops your turn, I found that the adjacent nipple on the other side was in the way so that the wrench wouldn't go on until I turned the nipple a few degrees.

So I made a few wrenches for the nipples:

I spent a whole bunch of time truing up the front wheel but I finally got it, thank-you Covit-19
    Last edited by pisten-bully; 03-25-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

By the way, if anyone were to ask me when you should paint your spokes, I would now suggest to paint them AFTER you build the wheel and true it up!

Great pictures, and descriptions, Harry. I always save original spokes and nipples and go to pains to save them when I break down an old rusty wheel. I love the tools you made, and I have done the same thing out of necessity. You have shown much of the grief, and victory of lacing, and truing your own wheels and it's worth the effort. When I first got into old bikes, I took a wheel to an old line H-D dealer in the early '70s to have it laced an trued, I was shocked when he said the bill was $60. With indignation, I pulled up my big boy pants and said I would never pay that outrageous amount again for that service. Of course I would gladly pay $60 all day long today, but I'm glad I persevered and learned some of the nuances of the wheel building art. In my limited experience, Indians, H-Ds, and Excelsiors with laced in front brakes are the hardest to do. I love your build, and thanks for sharing it with us, Harry.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    You have shown much of the grief, and victory of lacing, and truing your own wheels and it's worth the effort.
    Thanks Eric! Iíve done a few wheels before but nuthiní like this front wheel! It was oval, not round...and not slightly oval either...I almost caved in at one point and gave up: loosen two sides, tighten the other two sides, repeat...repeat...repeat with little movement until finally things started to move!

This is awesome Harry, love all the detailed pics its very helpful for future reference

Great work Harry! Thanks for the pics. Enjoy following the progress. All too often original parts are scrapped because repops or replacements are the "EASY" way out. Nothing beats the satisfaction of restoring an original part that many would deem junk! Keep up that relentless perseverance.
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/