Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Pics of the Day

The old clubhouse is still there..the club is not.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Love to see the yesterday and today comparisons.

Mike Love

Vintage Pics of the Day - September 10, 2020 Washington DC Harley-Davidson dealer H. Addison Bowie

Bowie HD.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1925. "H. Addison Bowie." A motorcycle dealer on 627 H Street. Henry Addison Bowie's shop was one of the early distributors of Harley-Davidson Motorcycles. This was photo is in a collection of early glass plate photos of Washington DC and include that one photo I included on Painterdale's post that showed 27 year old Sally Halterman DC's first woman to get a motorcycle license. Sally coincidentally or not also lived on H Street I found from my snooping. The Library of Congress file list this photo from between 1910 and 1925 and some comment I saw said Bowie's H-D was one of the first distributorships. From comments to this historic glass plate photo apparently Henry is between the two women on the left with the fur coats. One of the two women is Henry's wife and the other is either her sister or his sister. The block where this address is in NW Washington DC had a major redevelopment and so many of these small businesses are gone. I am looking for an image from the 1970s but it later became a Chinese restaurant called China Doll. This block is part of a several block section of DC known as Chinatown and is where the NHL Nationals have their home.

Mike Love
    Last edited by ihrescue; 09-10-2020 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Adding more commentary

I wasn't familiar with the board racer's sweater writing so I looked into it. It spells Houston in reverse - so I guess its for Houston Oil maybe as a sponsor. Apparently the original use of the backward Houston was for a Mardi Gras like festival in Houston with a little background at this link https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/no-tsu-oh

Mike Love

Quote Originally Posted by ihrescue View Post
    Vintage Pics of the Day - September 10, 2020 Washington DC Harley-Davidson dealer H. Addison Bowie

Bowie HD.jpg

Mike Love
    These old images we post are interesting for how they tie so many things together and its interesting to see how a nearly 100 year old snapshot in time can still have remnants of it. Here is a current day collectible, a screw driver with the imprint of the Harley-Davidson bar and shield and the other the dealer name and location. A piece of promotional give away that survived and probably spent a long time in the kitchen junk drawer.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.22.04 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.22.27 AM.jpg

Mike Love

Mike, nice to see you also have the "historian affliction". I've noticed your addition of information to the photos posted. The dealership image and small screwdriver tie-in are fun, thanks for making the effort. An issue of mine in regard to the CAI vintage pics of the day thread was that the majority of photos posted were being divorced from information that had accompanied them at their original source. For the past 12 years I have been accumulating information mainly on the H-D Motor Co and Wisconsin motorcycling due to my family history, I find enjoyment in putting in 10-20 hours of research weekly. I also enjoy the then-n-now location references and historical tangents that arise from an article or photo.

In the spirit of the screwdriver image you found above, below I'm posting a photo of just one small keepsake item that keeps me company at my desk. It's a small reward of my efforts which at first glance doesn't appear to be much of a motorcycling collectible, but this knife was made by my grandfather Joe a H-D experimental dept employee. He had given this knife to a younger H-D racing dept employee - initials RDF etched onto the knife handle. I made contact with RDF a few years ago from the list of names in my grandfather's retirement card. In a conversation he told me of this small knife passed on to him by my grandfather and that he wants to send it to me as it's just sitting in an old toolbox out in his garage and it would mean more to me than anyone else. Tangents and reward, I urge others to take interest and seek information in the stories and facts of each photograph or article presented.

Attachment 29499
    Last edited by badger34; 09-10-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badger34 View Post
    Tangents and reward, I urge others to take interest and seek information in the stories and facts of each photograph or article presented.

Attachment 29499
    Excellent comments badger34. Yes I do like to drill down into the details of things. I'll tell a story in one upcoming Vintage Pic about a photo I found of an old local motorcycle club that went back into the 1930s. I discovered in a group photo the a last name matching a work colleague so I asked him about the name. He said yes it was his father. I told him about what I found and he was flabbergasted and had no idea his dad had a motorcycle or belonged to a club. He had never even seen a photo or an indication. I do like to do research and write about it.

Thanks for the comments about your interest badger34. What a cool work knife and hw it all came about.

Mike love

Vintage Pics of the Day - September 11, 2020

NCMC.jpg

I found this image a number of years ago when I was doing research on Washington DC motorcycle clubs. This is of the National Capitol Motorcycle Club soon after they moved to a house at Georgia Av and Arcola Av in Wheaton, MD 1938 in what they referred to as a "Field Meet." I recognized the name of one of the members listed and I asked a friend with the same name if he knew the name. He said it was his father, why? I told him about the National Capitol MC shared the photo with him and the location. This was 70 some years after the photo was taken and he was shocked. He had never seen any evidence that his dad had owned or ridden motorcycles, let alone belonged to a club.

Mike Love

Quote Originally Posted by ihrescue View Post
    love to see the yesterday and today comparisons.

Mike love
    3000446.jpg Gyronaut X-1. Bob Leppan & Jim Bruflodt.
    fullsizeoutput_9e6.jpg >>>Worlds Largest Triumph Dealership.

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 09-11-2020 at 08:02 AM.