Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Pics of the Day

Mike,
    When i met Mr Luckett (I'm embarrassed that I can't remember his first name) he lived in Capitol Heights. The story was he had put the Indian in his basement in 1962.

Dale

droptopford,
    They worked!

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I've got 48 pics in my 'jumps' folder alone, Mike!

....Cotten
    HaHa - love the jumps especially big twins.

Mike Love

Droptopford - Love that swan fender ornament.

Mike Love

Paul Luckett's son was nice enough to send me a few more photos. Paul Luckett was a Saddle Squire before he started the D.C. Strokers Motorcycle Club. First pic is him as president of the Strokers.

D.C. Strokers.jpg

Couple more of Vista Racetrack.

Vista Racetrack 2.jpg

Vista.jpg

Paul Luckett and best friend John King

Vista Racetrack.jpg

John King.jpg

Dale

Thanks for posting those pictures, Dale. That's the history that makes our antique motorcycles become a tangible, and on-going link from the past, to today. Thank God people like Mr. Luckett saw the historical value of preserving the 1917 Indian for future generations; and especially for you
    Last edited by exeric; 09-06-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Vintage Pics of the Day for September 6, 2020 -

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 4.34.59 PM.jpg

When I think of a bobber.

Mike Love

Quote Originally Posted by painterdale View Post
    Paul Luckett's son was nice enough to send me a few more photos. Paul Luckett was a Saddle Squire before he started the D.C. Strokers Motorcycle Club. First pic is him as president of the Strokers.

D.C. Strokers.jpg

Couple more of Vista Racetrack.

Vista Racetrack 2.jpg

Vista.jpg

Paul Luckett and best friend John King

Vista Racetrack.jpg

John King.jpg

Dale
    Helping Dale here by posting a screen shot from the September 29, 1966 edition of Jet Magazine on Page 54. All these materials go nicely as part of the story for an antique bike. Here is a short article about Mr. Luckett's winning ways. Before the magazine image is the transcribed text from the article.

“D.C. Motor Cycle Racers Win 8 Trophies In Md.

Two motor cycle racers, after copping a total of eight trophies during the annual Labor Day weekend competition at Vista Park, Md., appeared on the verge of breaking into what is the stiffest sport for Negroes to crack. Barreling on high-speed motor cycles, both Paul Luckett and Paul Whitmire sped away from competition in drag races and a variety of other events to amass the highest number of awards. President of the D.C. Strokers Motor Club, Luckett won an amazing total of 37 trophies during the year while Whitmire, 27, the Vice President of the same club, won 40 events during his eight year career on the cycle track. At the Vista Park competition, Luckett won five trophies while his partner added another three awards, including the highly exciting drag race. Both men are machinists and regard cycle racing as “their life.” During the year the, the two men each have competed in more than 50 contests, traveling throughout the East on weekends to participate in cycle meets. In the drag races, the cyclists attain speeds of almost 100 miles an hour in distances as short as 300 feet. “Fantastic” Paul Whitmire, as he is known, has won as many as eleven trophies in a single day’s competition.”

Photo caption “Luckett (l) shows his winning form during competition; then he and Whitmire (r) exhibit trophies they won.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 9.08.34 AM.jpg

Mike Love
    Last edited by ihrescue; 09-06-2020 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Trying to improve the image and add transcribed text from the article

More that I previously uploaded, Folks!

The last one is certainly one of my favorites.

Can't work on a Schebler without a Stillson.

....Cotten
    PS: Oh yeah, and a logging chain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-06-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Vintage Motorcycle Pics of the Day - September 7, 2020 - New 1932 Indians Now Here

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.57.36 AM.jpg

Mike Love