Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Pics of the Day

Very nice. Thanks everyone.

Installment two...

...Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

More for the archives...

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

Vintage Pics of the day - September 5, 2020.

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 8.46.25 AM.jpg

One of my favorite antique motorcycle photo subjects is when there is air between wheels and Earth.

Forest Ranger in NM

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by painterdale View Post
    This is the gentleman I bought my Powerplus from. Him and his wife in 1966 and by himself in a photo dated 1967.

Attachment 29366

Attachment 29367

Dale
    Dale - I noticed in the bobber photo it mentioned Vista. I first became aware of Vista (an unincorporated area of Maryland with a motorcycle racetrack) a number of years ago after doing some research on Sally Halterman, a 27 YO and 88 pound woman, who in 1937 became the first woman in Washington DC to obtain her motorcycle license. Sally was inducted as the first "girl" in the DC Motorcycle Club. I then started accumulating information on the old DC Motorcycle Clubs and became aware of Vista Raceway.

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 9.45.11 AM.jpg

Anyway here is an image of a vintage advertisement for races and events at Vista Maryland

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 9.26.36 AM.jpg

This is the Lanham/Seabrook/Mitchellville area of Prince Georges County MD near Annapolis Rd (MD 450) and MD 704 now Martin Luther King Hwy and formerly George Palmer Rd. Vista had a racetrack popular to Washington DC area motorcycle racers. Here is a little history from Washington Post columnist John Kelly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2b1_story.html

Do you have any idea what the full MC club name is on the guy's jacket in the bar photo?

Mike Love
    Last edited by ihrescue; 09-05-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Mike,
    Thanks for that information. I have heard of Vista off and on a bit through the years.
    The name of the club is the Saddle Squires, I believe.
    It's interesting in the Post article it states that in 1962 Vista was known as an "outlaw" track. A.M.A. members would be suspended for being there. But by 1966-67 I'm assuming it had changed judging from what looks like an A.M.A. patch on his shirt in the one photo. A quick Google search turned up some information that shows it seems by at least 1965 the Saddle Squires were attending and possibly hosting field events in Vista, Md. The article also mentions the "hot dog races".
    When I picked up the Indian, Mr. Luckett treated me to a trip through his personal photo album. Many fascinating photos. The Indian was like a part of his family.
    His son reached out to me a few months ago and told me that unfortunately his Father had recently passed away. The middle photo is Mr. Luckett, center, with his 2 sons the day I picked up the Indian.

1966.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Mrs. Luckett 1966.jpg

Dale
    Last edited by painterdale; 09-05-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Dale amazing the side trips when looking at vintage motorcycle pics. I do tend to be like a Labrador Retriever on a tennis court with an automatic tennis ball shooter. Saddle Squires, very cool. You could really do some interesting history just of MC clubs in those early days. I will tip my thinking to a Vintage Pic of the Day soon of another MC club picture that discovered while researching Ms. Sally Halterman. I sure tried to find some of her descendants but so far failed. I did find her house though on H St. NW down near GW University. Of course she was 27 in 1937 so she was long gone by the time I discovered her incomplete story.

Where did Mr. Luckett live? Thant is a fine looking old Indian.

Mike Love

[QUOTE=ihrescue;192497..One of my favorite antique motorcycle photo subjects is when there is air between wheels and Earth.[/QUOTE]

I've got 48 pics in my 'jumps' folder alone, Mike!

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

See if these work:

2zjmbo7.jpg

0A3a_zpst6afxzxw.jpg