Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1917 Excelsior information needed

Hi all we just picked up a 1917 Excelsior

The bike was restored some time ago in the US and we bought it after had already been imported to Australia

I am looking for a copy of the owners manual

I am also interested to find out about the total loss oil system as this bike does not seem to have a oil level plug in the crankcase, and am wondering what the bast way to know if the engine is getting to much or not enough oil

We have a 17 Indian and it has a sight glass on the side of the crankcase, so one can easily see how much oil the engine is geting.

Jason

Hello Jason , I work on the principal of using about a pint of oil (English pint=20ounces) to about 100 miles on my 1916 Excelsior , if after a run you drain the crankcase , you should get about two or three ounces out ! For adjusting the oil pump etc , go to 'The Virtual Library' and download the Excelsior booklet "Excelsior Series 21 - Care & Operation - WC" and it'll tell you in there , you can also look on yahoo groups ---
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/excelsior_big_x/ -- best wishes , hope you enjoy the Ex , as much as I enjoy mine , Ken
    Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken will check that out

The bike is pulled down to a frame now, just going over everything and making sure all is ok, Have some new pins for the bottom end and new rods being made at the moment.

Jason

Comment

Jason, did you say you are having new connecting rods made? That sounds like quite a project in itself. Was there something wrong with the rods you have? I have been going through my 1916 Excelsior and am currently stalled by a bad magneto. My goal was to have it going by the Florida Eustis meet but that may be a bit ambitious. Keep us posted on how your 1917 project is going Jason.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Boy, I sure would like to see some pictures of your '17, thanks!
          Louie
          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Yes am having a new pair of connecting rods made in the US, The guy that is doing them has done them in the past a pair of his rods were in one of the Excelsiors that completed the cannonball run.

The old rods had some marks on the races that were not going to hone out so decided to go with new rods pins and rollers so I would know where I was at with the bottom end, We decided to pull the bike down to the frame and go right over it
            as there was a lot off little things that needed to be done to make it right and reliable, I want to be able to ride this bike when it is all back together.

The plan is to take it to the National Australian veteran rally in August, so we still have a lot to sort out between then
            I am just going to leave the paint as is for now otherwise I will run out off time as I need to have the bike finished a few months before the rally to have it sorted.

exeric what sort of mag is on your 16? I have just sent the mag away off our 17 to have it checked over while the engine is apart the mag on our bike is a Berliner

I will post a few photos soon

Comment

This is how the bike was when we first got it
              Attached Files

Comment

Bottom End Parts

Greetings,
                These are the bottom end parts going out to charger. This photo was taken before the piston pin bushings were installed and final honing. Another set of these rods were in the # 34 Excelsior that finished top 5 in the Cannon Ball run.

Best regards, Phil

Comment

Phil, Those connecting rods are absolutely stunning as are the rest of the parts. Truly beautiful work. Jason, as I mentioned to you before, I am very familiar with your motorcycle and just saw it's previous owner last week. I had a Berling magneto on my 1916 Excelsior and I didn't like it. Where I live, (Florida) humidity is high and that seems to be not at all to the liking of a Berling magneto. I prefer the Bosch mag and have one lined up for my '16.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Phill, awesome stuff your doing!!!! Charger, very cool machine - I believe I know the previous owner as well. Eric, is that Charlie's Henderson in the photo also. Has he been able to git it up and repaired? hope he is well.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Phil

Comment

I Have received the new rods and other bottom end parts for the Excelsior from Phil, He has done a great job making these parts and I am really looking forward to getting the bike up and running again.

Here is a photo of the parts from Phil
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jason. I am glad it all arrived in good shape. Good luck with the assembly. Can't wait to see it together.

Phil

Comment

Wow. I just had to say that. I'm planning on starting my old 1916 motor just as is. If I hear anything funny, I guess I'll just have to pull it down. If not I'm just going to remember it's not a dragster. Thanks, Paul/Los Angeles, California

Comment

Working...
                            X