No announcement yet.

Henderson headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the nucleus of the X about 16 years ago from Charlie Carter (Mr. Excelsior). He had a motor, trans, fenders, and a gas tank. later that year at Davenport I found the frame with a front fork.

It was all very rough but especially the fork and front fender. The fork had the worst repair on the triple crown I have ever seen. Basically, I cut it all apart and straightened the legs then made a new crown assembly with fork stem and brazed everything back together. . . . . . I should have kept looking for another fork. The fender had been run over by truck or something. There was no way in the world to beat it out because it was work hardened like a car bumper. What did work however, was to cut it right down the center and have 2 mirror halves. It was much easier to anneal and hence, easier to whale on it with a hammer. A little bit of welding and it was done.

The rest of the bike was pretty basic stuff. Lots of parts hunting and parts book study on the john. I met great people in the coarse of doing this X and I think that was the ulitmate reward. That part of it can't be stressed enough. When you do an odd ball motorcycle you meet people who share a common affliction and can relate to your problems.

Currently, it needs a gas tank repair and a valve job. However, it's been sitting for about 4 years and got moved around Florida a bit too often so it has scratches and overall wear. Plus, I don't like the paint job I did. So it's time.

Comment

Regarding the colors. I was given the following paint #'s by a fellow who had an original paint '17 X and had it color matched. He stripped his bike and re-painted it. Hard to believe since a bike like his would have been close to a religious icon now.

These are Dupont colors and I think they are lacquer numbers but it should transcribe to enamel:

Dulux 55137 D (gray)

Dulux 8554 D H (red)

For striping I used "One Shot" Red, Dark Blue, and Gold. The broad maroon stripes are Indian Red.

Comment

It's great hearing about this stuff - thanks Eric.

I was told that instead of 60/40 solder for the tank I could use a higher tin content procured from a rad shop. Something like 90/10. For the bottom areas of the seam that take the bulk of the weight/stress. I caved and also coated the inside of my tanks with POR15. IND 640. Rubber mounted now.

How are you going to approach your tank leaks? Would you braze it?

Comment

Very great indeed!!! I'm soaking it up like a sponge!!!!!!!!

Comment

Suddenly I feel like I am not alone anymore when things don't go well.....................

Comment

After seeing all the agony you went through to create that masterpiece I am a little reluctant to say this but I hold a negative opinion of Mr. Strain's rebuilds. , just speaking from experience, won't go into details here, email me off this forum if you want the dirt.

Comment

Eric:

Nice picture. I was interested to see you have a 1919. I also have a 1919 that I am just beginning to restore. What color is the 1919 you have? I understand it is supposed to be khaki. Does yours have original paint? This is the year I am supposed to get into this restoration in a big way, so any pointers on the 1919 issues would be nice.

Off to Oley tomorrow...

Mark Hunnibell

Comment

My 1919 was in about the same condition as the 1917. The frame was a mess but the sheet metal was good with the exception of the front fender. The frame and fenders were in original paint but the previous owner had begun their own restoration according to their own taste in color. The tank and part of the frame had been stripped and painted a ghastly brown. It was probably a beautiful original paint bike when they started. I have a color formula for Dupont Centari and it's a spot on match.

Write when you get back from Oley, Mark. I would love to tell you about the 1919 Henderson becuase I think it is one of the most interesting and unique Hendersons.

Comment

Nice work! I hope I can get mine to looking something near that...

Comment

This is the 1917 Henderson, one year later
                      Attached Files

Comment

I am still having a rough time with picture posting. Eventually I'll get the hang of it.

I thought it would be interesting to give an update on the Henderson. I have been planning to take the '17 back to Eustis this year so 3 weeks ago I started taking care of the things I knew were wrong or needed to be fixed. The biggest problem was the magneto which I had rebuilt last year but didn't get back in time for Eustis. Since it ran so well last year, I figured it would be a slam dunk to put on the rebuilt mag and be back where we were last year. I put on the mag and timed it out and the engine did nothing. On the bench the new mag was super hot but on the bike it did nothing. I retimed the mag at least 10 times and even swapped it out with the other mag and still nothing. I checked the tappet adjustment, which was good, and re-timed the cam. The carb was good and juicey and gas was getting to the spark plugs. Compression was good. . . . Everything looked good, but the doggone thing wouldn't start. Two weekends of aggravation passed and we're getting down to it.

I took 2 days off from work with a mission to find and fix what was wrong. The first day was more of the same mystery and then a friend of mine suggested that I look into the carburetor. He made the comment that old gas really messed up his Chief and VL. Another friend said the same thing about his old Corvette and his lawn mower. Also, I recalled T Cotten saying how lousey gas is these days. Eventually this flood of information got through to my pea brain and I put the other HX130 Schebler on this bike. She fired right up. I took the guilty carb apart and what a mess inside. In the future I will be draining all the gas out of bikes that are going to sit for awhile.

Now that it's running, I'm really looking forward to the Florida meet. If you get to Eustis, say hello.

Comment

Jeez Eric.
                          That is SUPERB.
                          Best wishes from Oz.

Ken.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful Eric.........that's one nice Henderson!!!!

I can relate with gas issues. I've seen a bike only sit for a couple months and a gas change and a carb clean were in order......

Comment

That's one purty Henderson. If mine looked that good I would be afraid to ride it.
                              I notice that your engine appears to be bare metal. Is that the way they were originally, and for what years? I just recently got into the old bike game, so I have a lot to learn.
                              Don't let gas sit in your carbs. I have several 4 cyl. and 3-6 cyl. bikes, and old gas causes some real headaches. Injector cleaner and Sea-Foam is you best friend. I f you've let one sit awhile and it won't start, try draining the carb to get some fresh gas from the tank. It works most of the time.

Comment

1917 and early 1918's were not painted. When Schwinn took over he painted the cases green to match his Excelsiors. This continued through 1919 and then dark blue for the K's and Delux's. I have heard from many different sources that most of the manufacturers painted their engine cases, even if was intended to look like an aluminum case. I suspect that there were color variations in the castings and aluminum paint was an easy way to get an even color.

Comment

Working...
                                X