According to this website, the Big Base Scout numbers began with FDH:
This is page is pretty complete for Indian serial numbers.
Dave Goesling
AMCA 9757
'48 Chief
Looking for vin number..
Collapse
X
-
It's always good to sit back and ponder the situation... It seems to me that the Big Base racer's numbers would have started with FDH.....
Leave a comment:
-
Phil... I know I have that info somewhere but upon a search this evening it appears that it's elluding me.... You'd better go visit Gary it sounds like you don't mind turning wrenches...
Maybe Mr. Hatfield will read this... I'm sure he'd have that info...
Leave a comment:
-
"need to know" wasn't the thing, I just don't know how they were numbered, and the subject includes them. I could ask Gary Landeen (local owner and avid student of the racing scouts), but if you could complete my little unfinished report, please be my guest. Besides, if I go ask Gary I might end up working on his bikes! (a pleasure,btw)Originally posted by c.o. View PostI'd have to agree. Robin is the go to guy on Injuns! I've got a set of military cases with no numbers. What did you need to know about the big base (648) racers?
Leave a comment:
-
I'd have to agree. Robin is the go to guy on Injuns! I've got a set of military cases with no numbers. What did you need to know about the big base (648) racers?
Leave a comment:
-
If that is what Robin told you then you know for sure that it is indeed true. That guy really knows his stuff!!!
Leave a comment:
-
a good friend (local) has son in navy, San Diego, who acquired an Indian bicycle, kid also owns a Pope bicycle. got pix, Chris?Originally posted by Chris Haynes View PostI actually own one of the other brands. Two if you count my 1951 Indian Princess bicycle.
First year sport scout, 1934 is 634--- on frame, FCD--- on motor
1935...................................635--- FCE---
36 636--- FCF---
37 637--- FCG---
38 638--- FCH---
39 639--- FCI---
40 640--- FDO---
41 641--- FDA---
42 642--- FDB---
48 ?? the 50 big base racers, .. (need some help!)
Robin Markey told me that military bikes weren't stamped, and that military stock parts were often sold to dealerships for replacement parts, and that the dealers were to stamp them upon installation. but some didn't get stamped.
Leave a comment:
-
Jerry illustrated this well. If the last numbers on the case match the last numbers on the frame then you've got a motor and frame that came together.........Originally posted by cabanadan View PostJust scraped the paint off and found it... The engine number isn't the same as it??? The Frame number matches the title.... Why is that??? Military model???
Leave a comment:
-
The numbers on an Indian don't quite match. My 40 Scout is a matching number bike. The engine is FD0379 and the frame is 640379. The translation is simple F = 6th letter and D = 4th letter.
Jerry
Leave a comment:
-
Just scraped the paint off and found it... The engine number isn't the same as it??? The Frame number matches the title.... Why is that??? Military model???
Leave a comment:
-
I actually own one of the other brands. Two if you count my 1951 Indian Princess bicycle.Originally posted by c.o. View PostI'll echo everybody's comments..... left rear.... I'm just wondering though...... since when did Chris decide to admit knowing something about the "other" brand???
Leave a comment:
-
I'll echo everybody's comments..... left rear.... I'm just wondering though...... since when did Chris decide to admit knowing something about the "other" brand???
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: