Sportster 1st Gear Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster 1st Gear Issue

I'm slightly off-topic here as this is a 2002 Sportster. Friend in Germany is having the problem and I thought someone here might know the fix.

Put the bike into gear and it moves, but then it acts like it is not fully in gear. There is a clunk with a quick jolt and continues down the road. He took the tranny apart and found some wear on the shifter fork. Below is his description of his findings. To me, it sounds like the shift dogs are not fully engaging and then going home under power. He agreed with that description of what he thinks is going on. Here are his comments.

I had this with several sportsters during the years but didnīt have to repair this problem.
    I took the transmission out, washed it and had a very close look.
    The fork shifters are slightly worn (0.0118"), the thrust washers are all the same thickness, only the one that sits under the first gear on countershaft shows wear of .00118". I found the shifter shaft bushing worn for .008" where it sticks in the sheet metal lash. The detent spring doesnīt pull the detent arm onto the detent plate anymore.(there is a gap of appr .06")

So is this a couple of only minor issues causing one bigger issue?

In the US Harley forum I found a handful of posts, where people had the same problem and tried to solve it with different ways. Some changed 1st and 3rd gear on countershaft, some bought a new shifter drum off Baker (not available anymore). Ony guy renewed all three shifter forks, used a baker shift drum, new 1st and 3rd gear countershaft and all small parts like thrust washers, springs, rollers, split bearings.

I spoke with a HD shop whom I know almost 30 years they told me to minimize all play and gaps as good as possible and buy new shift forks.

So, I have multiple suggestions and am struggling on how to proceed.

Itīs not the first time Iīm opening a HD gearbox. Normally thereīs an obvious culprit but here it seems like all would be like nearly okay. Now I have it open, Iīd like to know if anyone here has had that problem himself and could tell me what to do to get it right on the first attempt.

Any suggestions highly welcome.
    Thanks for any insight. And sorry for this not being an antique Sporty.

regards,
    Rob
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811
Working...
X