Oil tank gauge rod for a 1968 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil tank gauge rod for a 1968 FLH

I haven't been able to find the gauge rod ( dipstick ) for my oil tank, so I made one. Now I need to mark it for "FULL" and "ADD" and don't know what the distance on the rod should be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Karel

Here's what I've done with the "fill and add" marks. Although I've got an Indian, the process is the same.

Take a piece of wood (a paint stir-stick) and as you fill your empty oil tank, put the stick into the tank as you put each quart of oil, mark the stick. Repeat with each quart until you reach the amount you want to use for "full". You should have a mark on the stick for each quart added. Then align the stick with your newly fashioned homemade dip stick. Take something like a chisel and mark the new dip stick. for the "add" mark, and another mark for the "full " mark. The "add" mark will be up to you, but I mark mine when I'm a little more than a half quart. All this is a bit subjective, each bike is slightly different, so your marks are only an approximate guide. Good Luck C2K

Comment

From my 69FL. Measuring ruler was bottomed out on the steel shoulder lip of the locking ring.
      DSC06965.JPG DSC06965.JPG
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks Bob, this is just what I need.

Karel

Comment

Working...
        X