Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plating/Painting advice for 48 FL Panhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plating/Painting advice for 48 FL Panhead?

Hi Guys

Cadmium plating is now illegal in the UK for non licenced operators and really only for aerospace parts.
    It appears that zinc would be an appropriate substitute? What are your views?

Parkerizing or 'zinc phosphating' or 'manganese phosphating' appears to be the same thing? However the 'look' is very different with the zinc option being 'grey' as opposed to the manganese option being 'black'. Do you know what option Harley used?

On a similar subject, can anyone refer me to any DIY method and what is required for doing this Parkerizing at home, as it seems quite simple?

In Palmers book the muffler clamps are supposed to be painted black and exhaust pipe clamps are parkerized - is this right? Does this mean that the rear clamp that goes around the muffler should be painted black, but that all other exhaust clamps are parkerized? Seems odd, I would parkerize all of them?

With the muffler/exhaust paint, I'm assuming this is matt, as opposed to satin or gloss?

One last question - on the carburettor - Palmer states that the 'body' should be painted black (dull). I'm assuming he means the beautiful brass body is black?

As always, thanks for your support.

Greg
    Last edited by harleygreg; 11-06-2019, 11:51 AM.
Working...
X