Clutch and Brake Rubber Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch and Brake Rubber Pads

Folks, probably seems like a dumb question - but wanted to see if anyone thought like me in the past.

For pan heads question is about the rectangular style pedal rubber/pads for clutch vs. brake. I had always thought and called the larger pad the brake pedal cover. And in fact most all bikes I've seen with them had the larger (3 sections molded in) mounted on the brake pedal. Of course these were hand clutch models.

Looking at acessory catalogs I see the larger pad called the clutch pad front or rear and the smaller (two sections molded in) called the brake pad. So two larger blocks for the clutch and the smaller one for the brake in a set.

For reference I'm looking at 1964 Accessory Catalog:

36950-45A Set Pedal Pads - Black
    36951-45A Clutch Lever Pad - Front - Black
    36952-47A Clutch Lever Pad - Rear - Black
    36954-62 Brake Pedal Pad - Black

Numbering suggests older pan may have only used one pad for the clutch pedal then two when the pedal changed to rocker style?

Most of my curiosity is how this is treated by judging for original condition or restoration. If the brake pedal pad is installed would it need to be the right type or is this item generally ignored overall since the brake pedal rubber was an accessory item?

Probably old hat for you folks, but interesting detail for me. Even in ads selling repros I see the large pad called a brake pedal pad. Wondering of riders just started using the large pad as it worked better, more coverage, etc.

Assuming though that to be "correct" the smaller pad should be used on the brake pedal. Wondering if I should switch mine out. I have one of both.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140
Working...
X