1940 Production Date Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Production Date Codes

I have a 1940 EL (Vin# 40EL18xx), and the date codes on most of the engine parts seem to indicate that they are original to the bike. I purhcased the bike in 2003, and it had been "restored" with a mix of repop and incorrect parts around 1981. I do not know the date code inside the engine cases, but the codes on the cylinders (now sleeved with cast iron sleeves) are both J 9's (October 1939), and the front head is L-9 (December 1939). The tranny/kicker has a mix of J-9 and L-9 codes.

The frame is a correct 1940, and the front fork has the correct 1940 casting # (a "7" I believe ... but it is not in front of me right now). For these reasons, I think most of these parts are original to the bike.

The one part that doesn't match up is the rear head which has a 1946 code.

Anyway, my question is, do the J through L date codes on the engine and tranny components suggest that they are original to the bike given the VIN#? I assume that the early production year number suggests a late 1939 build, but would October, November, December component parts seem too late. I guess my biggest question is around the L-9 codes since those are the only December codes I have found ... all others are October. Anyone have info or ideas on when model year production began and ended?

Thanks.
    Vic Ephrem
    AMCA #2590
Working...
X