1944 E at Mecum
Collapse
X
-
I did not like it. I'll have to check some notes to see what about it I did not like however. Too many bikes to try and memorize. The one thing I do remember is that it had 1947 style rocker boxes.Originally posted by Jdiesel25 View Post
Did you get a chance to check this one out? If so what are your thoughts
Ok
-I wrote down wrong rocker boxes
-wrong oil pump
-wrong headlight bracket and hardware
I think the rear tappet block also might have been an early one.
JerryLast edited by Jerry Wieland; 02-01-2026, 07:59 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
I would love to go to the January Las Vegas motorcycle auctions. I'll bet that is some of the best people watching in America ! However, trying to critically look at 100's of beautiful motorcycles (that are for sale) could be a sensory overload. For the lucky ones that do go, have a lot of fun, and hope you get a good deal on a bike you want.
Leave a comment:
-
And a bodacious plume from a manifold leak to the front cylinder (at least): Hilarious!
We were on a road run this year and a chap was having an awful time cold starting a freshly (untested) restored 48 Pan. It back fired, loud as a cannon, and briefly ran backwards. With both sides closed of throttle blade and choke, it essentially sealed the intake passages, the resulting eruption found the nearest avenue of escape, the aforementioned plume blew black heavily choked unburnt fuel all over one head and cylinder from a leaking spigot. His day was done before it even started.
Leave a comment:
-
I'll be there.Originally posted by KNUCK View PostAnybody going to the show? Let me know if your going so we can put a face to a name. Great place to go in the winter for a little fun and see 1500-2000 motorcycles for sale.
Jerry
Leave a comment:
-
That’s probably why they sell them at auction (phone bidders, internet bidders etc)Originally posted by KNUCK View PostMost of the time when I go to the Mecum Vegas auction and see a bike 50% of the time it is not as good as the pictures. So this one is not off to a very good start.
Leave a comment:
-
Anybody going to the show? Let me know if your going so we can put a face to a name. Great place to go in the winter for a little fun and see 1500-2000 motorcycles for sale.
Leave a comment:
-
Most of the time when I go to the Mecum Vegas auction and see a bike 50% of the time it is not as good as the pictures. So this one is not off to a very good start.
Leave a comment:
-
I would give it better odds than a copper gasket, Duke!Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
....Note ...the .. "new" blue graphite head gasket. That also tells a story yet to be learned...
But I've been out of the game for decades.
....Cotten
PS: Is that a wire tie, or just a bent coathanger choke control?
I'll allow it.Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-02-2026, 06:01 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Cotten,Originally posted by T. Cotten View PostI can't ante up, Folks,
But I can bring reality back, while staying in my own lane of carbs and manifolds.
Looky at a wire tie instead of a choke lever assembly,
And a bodacious plume from a manifold leak to the front cylinder (at least):
44maybe.jpg
Its a beautimous veteran! Seriously. Lovely.
But it will take even more cash to make it run right.,
....Cotten
You are correct, they typically do take a amount of money to make them run and drive acceptable.
Note not only the front intake manifold tracing but the fact of a "new" blue graphite head gasket. That also tells a story yet to be learned...
Leave a comment:
-
Yeah for sure! Jerry.Originally posted by Jdiesel25 View Post
I’d be curious to see if it’s a real 44
Leave a comment:
-
I can't ante up, Folks,
But I can bring reality back, while staying in my own lane of carbs and manifolds.
Looky at a wire tie instead of a choke lever assembly,
And a bodacious plume from a manifold leak to the front cylinder (at least):
44maybe.jpg
Its a beautimous veteran! Seriously. Lovely.
But it will take even more cash to make it run right.,
....CottenLast edited by T. Cotten; 01-02-2026, 12:44 PM.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: