Knuckle lifter blocks - two styles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hollywood
    replied
    I am not sure when exactly the transition was made or why, but I've narrowed it down. I checked out a nice original 40 motor and it had the early style. I saw a restored 42 on Matt Olsen's blog with the late style (beveled). I have two 41's and one has the late and one has the early.
    I originally figured they changed when the pushrod tubes changed in 1940 but that does not appear to be the case.

    Leave a comment:


  • BigLakeBob
    replied
    Originally posted by Rub View Post
    Hey Bob,
    I can use at least one of those blocks if it isn't chrome. PM me.
    Thanks
    Robbie
    Sent you a PM early this morning.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rubone
    replied
    Hey Bob,
    I can use at least one of those blocks if it isn't chrome. PM me.
    Thanks
    Robbie

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry Wieland
    replied
    For sure the square top lifter blocks are early. My personal belief is that the bevel top lifter blocks are a mid production 1942 and up item. No references to quote, just lots of looking at original bikes. Seems to have changed at the same time they got rid of the so called 1941 only oil pump.

    Never seen them OEM on a 41 and down bike. JWL has original paint bikes that seem to back this theory up. Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • BigLakeBob
    replied
    I came across 2 rear knuckle lifter blocks I want to trade, but want to make sure I describe them correctly. Is there a different style for different years as asked at the start of this thread? The ones I have, have bevels at the top. Thank you.

    Leave a comment:


  • gallen
    Guest replied
    My 47 has beveled tops

    Leave a comment:


  • rousseau
    Guest replied
    My 38 EL has the bevels.

    Leave a comment:


  • koanes
    Guest replied
    If I recall correctly 41 was the first year the bevel top blocks were used. The best way to get a response on most tech boards is make an incorrect statement. The overwhelming need to correct an error will set those typing fingers to tapping!

    Leave a comment:


  • Lonnie
    Guest replied
    Any ideas, anybody?

    Lonnie

    Leave a comment:


  • Lonnie
    Guest started a topic Knuckle lifter blocks - two styles

    Knuckle lifter blocks - two styles

    I've noticed that there are two different types of knuckle lifter blocks, though Bruce Palmer's book only mentions one type without describing it. My question is, to what years do each type apply:

    1> Type 1 - At the top, where the pushrod tube sits, the top edges are beveled towards the tube.

    2> Type 2 - At the top, again where the pushrod tube sits, the top edges are squared off - no bevel.

    Since I am looking at these blocks on the motors, I cannot state what the casting numbers or marks (if any) indicate.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Lonnie
Working...