Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know who used to own Harley JD 74?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know who used to own Harley JD 74?

Hi: Hoping someone out here will recognize this bike and may add to the history I have.

It's my JD 74", which I have owned for about 4 years. It gets ridden a lot, nearly 2000 miles since I have owned it.

The bike has been pictured in at least a dozen H-D books by my count. I believe it was photographed in Daytona in the late 1980's or early 1990's when it was owned by the gentleman had it restored. Supposedly, it won a lot of awards when the restoration was fresh and was displayed at a lot of shows.

I purchased it from a private museum/collection in the Columbus area of Oh. The owner had purchased it at auction, mainly because he liked the looks. But it was never really run until I got it and recommissioned it.

When I bought the bike, I was told that the owner who restored it was a physician and an officer in either AMCA or AMA. That he lived in the Northeast and that the bike was restored in New Hampshire.

I would love to trace more of the history of the machine... it's very unique with its buddy seat and color. Other than recommissioning (it was superbly restored mechanically), I put new tires on it, rewired w. cloth wire, had the seats recovered as they were beyond saving, and put on a repro toolbox as I could not find a suitably priced original. The white fender tip is a 'scar' from going down on the bike and scraping the paint on the front fender. Neither me or bike suffered more than scratches and embarassment! But the 'temporary' repair has grown on me and so I am leaving it for now.

Anyone who knows the bike, or any history of the machine or any information on previous owners, please let me know!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Garage4.jpgpewter 7.jpgJD 1.jpg
    First is in my garage now, second is at the Pewter Run 2010, third is as I bought it with the signature white tires.
    Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 12-19-2010, 06:56 PM.
Working...
X