Harley MT500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley MT500

Just got home w. new toy for the collection... a basically as-new Harley MT500. Mine has electric start and the 500CC single.

These were an enduro built for the Army, using a Rotax engine and an Armstrong frame/design. They were built at York, but using the British design. There were also MT350's built, but not any electric start MT350's (from what I can determine.)

There is a lot of misinformation out there about what contracts they were built under... whether they were for Canadian or US Army, whether the bikes were actually delivered, etc. etc. etc. I believe the Army reneged on the contract and paid it off after about 200 bikes were built... citing their use of diesel on all vehicles, they did not want the gas motorcycles.

I'll post more when I can find and write out something resembling an accurate history.

Or if anyone has one (Chris???) I'd love to see it.

I am also looking for images of these bikes in US military livery. How were they marked? Kitted out? Mine has panniers and the rifle pannier. It's complete. But I am looking to see some either as fielded or as they were run through military trials. Pictures anyone?

I know that several special operations units have motorcycles assigned... but are they Armstrongs or something bought on the 'company credit card' as it were?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Cheers and thanks,

Sirhr
Working...
X