A generator testing on the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A generator testing on the bike

I have a 42 WLA running a 12 volt 65A generator and a solid state regulator. I noticed that while riding the after about 10 miles the horn would not sound and the motor seemed ragged.

When I got home the horn would hardly sound with the motor off. I know it was working fine as I honked it when leaving for my ride. Odd thing is the next morning is sounded just fine.

My battery is a new AGM and shows 12.4 volts.

I set my meter on DC 20volts and checked the voltage at the battery with the bike ruining about 2000 RPM and the reading valuated for -0.1 to 18.3 up and down.
    I then disconnected the wires from the F and A terminals. Connected the positive to A and grounded the black meter lead. Started the bike and ran it up to 2000 rpm and it show 00.2 volts. I then polarized by connecting F to ground and flashing A to positive. I got a small spark at the A terminal post. I next switched to the meter to 200 volts scale. I connected the A to positive lead, grounded the black lead and grounded the F. I saw the same reading of 00.2.
    Have I tested the generator correctly? And if so, is it time to send it off for repair?
    Clark
Working...
X