Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Freddie' is One Lucky Guy! Not only does he get 'Gloria Grahame', but also the 42' FL Deluxe.

*M.A.D.*

fullsizeoutput_13e3.jpeg
    Last edited by JoJo357; 06-03-2021, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post

You are so right Steve..The USA too were very involved in lend leasing..I think I had a conversation once in Las Vegas, with David Sarifan a well known WLA expert and I believe he told me he brought over a substantial number in that period..45's are wonderful bikes and I love to ride them....Our local Harley dealer bought over 200 hundred after the war..They were advertised right up to 1961 in their catalogue..$225 for a refurbished and $275 for a new one..O to go back in time and have some cash

I have a lot of the old NYC Iron Horse Magazines. I remember they were keeping close tabs on David Sarafan, because David was expecting the long awaited shipment of WLA's from around Europe, to arrive at the NYC Ocean docks. I think Sarafan had operations somewhere in, or around NYC at the time? I'll have to look for the articles in Iron Horse, to confirm my CRS sometimes memory. But the I.H. photos showed these WLA's stacked to utilize every square inch squished anyway they could, diagonally, sideways-upside down, inside 45' trailers. I used to see David in Daytona for B.W. when he set up shop at the Volusia Swap Meet. He always had time to Yak, and when i asked him about those pictures, he told me with laughter, that they loaded them that way because they thought up until the very last moment the US Government would change their minds about letting him take possession.[/QUOTE]

This is some fascinating stuff. Thanks for the comments folks. I imagine that if those bikes hit our shores in one piece some may be squirreled away untouched. Much better than the fate of the bombers that survived. I have been doing continuing research into the B-17 bomber my dad flew in as a radio operator Serial #44-8314 a B-17 G and there were 5,636 according to the data base on the serial numbers. There were probably equal numbers or more of the B17-B through B17 F series from 1938 - 1944 not to mention all the other air, water and land vehicles. Just so hard to imagine that amazing build up of industry to produce all these materials. Most of the B-17s ended up being sold for scrap.

Mike Love

Comment

• Originally posted by droptopford View Post

Only took 8 months and 82 pages (and 20 minutes for me to figure out what the heck you guys were talking about).
        Looks like Grease Monkey is new and went through all the pages! Great effort on his part!!
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

• *M.A.D.*

fullsizeoutput_13ed.jpeg
          fullsizeoutput_13ec.jpeg
          Last edited by JoJo357; 06-06-2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• *M.A.D.*
            fullsizeoutput_13a5.jpeg

ReoI.jpg
            Last edited by JoJo357; 06-06-2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• The 1932 CAL picture shows training wheels on a 1930? VL just before the Harley Servicar came out. The other picture shows a 1932-34 Servicar by the looks of it. Both machines are at various stages of the then car servicing process - mechanic drives out to the car, hitches bike/Servi to the rear bumper, drives to the shop, services car, drives back, unhitches bike and then drives it back to the shop.

Comment

• Thank you for the correction on the CAL photo. I also thought the Servi photo had a C model side valve engine, but have not seen that set-up before. The cycle parts are the same, so maybe a special order?

Comment

• Ladies.jpg
                  Found this on the internet and this is the original caption

'Chris Draves - One of my favorites from the family archive. Three ladies on an Indian motorcycle. This was taken at a farm outside of Fort Atkinson, WI somewhere in the 1920’s. I did some restoration to this photograph using photoshop.'

Comment

• Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                    I'll take one of each.

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - June 9, 2021

Mike Love

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.15.42 AM copy.jpg

Comment

• zzhenmys.jpg

Hengal 3.jpg

zsnEC.jpg .

...Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
                          Vintage Pic of the Day - June 9, 2021

Mike Love

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.15.42 AM copy.jpg
                          Cute, but not an old pic. TROG
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• My favorite Excelsior shirt.

Excelsior_zps31d9a295.jpg
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

• Can't let this thread slow down, Folks.....

I thought racers wore 'jerseys', Eric!

zXav9.jpg

Doh! Looks like a turtleneck to me.

United States Tires.jpg

zP35y.jpg

What did they call these long-sleeved, turtle-necked 'shirts'?

....Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-13-2021, 11:57 PM.
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - June 15, 2021

Indians visit Laconia

Mike Love

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 7.30.05 AM copy.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X