Brooks Saddles for Early Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks Saddles for Early Motorcycles

While surfing the net I stumbled on this piece written by the UK owner of a 1911 Triumph. It has detailed photos of the saddle on his machine, a reproduction of the 1912 Brooks Catalogue, and of some early adverts by Brooks and others. The author, if he is still active, says he has copies of a number of very early Brooks Catalogues which he will scan and send to anyone interested. I have posted the link on the chance that it may be of interest to some forum members who may not have seen it already. Mike.

http://www.go-faster.com/VeteranMotorcycleSaddles.html

I just had a good look at the Brooks Catalog, Mike. Thank you very much for taking the time to scan, and post that invaluable information. I have what I am now thinking is a Brooks plywood seat pan which was mounted on a Troxel-Harley-Davidson suspension. I got this seat years ago and have never been able to identify it due to the odd 'heart' shaped plywood seat pan. I bought it because it looked so much like a Troxel Jumbo seat that is correct for my 1916 H-D, but the shape is different than the Troxel, hence, I think it's a Brooks pan. Thanks again, MikeW; great information, and may clear some of the fog.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

You're very welcome, Eric. When I stumbled on this link (which I found interesting in its own right) I thought that someone, somewhere, at some time would find useful information in it. The whole topic of motorcycle saddles in the first couple of decades of last century has enough complexity for a PhD thesis and, even as stand-alone items, the catalogs from that era are a window onto a different world.

Comment

Again, thank you, Mike. You are so right about early motorcycle seats and how much complexity they add to early cycle history. An Indian, Excelsior, Henderson, or Harley-Davidson didn't have to be sold with a suggested seat, or other accessories. Dealers made money selling (up-selling) accessories to gullible buyers. . . Just like today
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
        X