No announcement yet.

1942 California License Plate

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1942 California License Plate

    I know.......I know. If one exists, it's extremely rare. Yada, Yada, Yada.

    However, I would like to mount it to my 1942 Harley-Davidson Model XA and run it. California has a program where you can run the year plate of your motorcycle (and car I think) rather than getting a "new" plate.

    Hey! It's worth a shot!

    Any leads on where I can get one?


  • #2
    It's called a "Year of Manufacture Plate" or "YOM" . It cost the same as carrying a personalized plate, about $35 a year. Be careful when you do find one, because it has to be approved by the DMV. As far as condition, etc. I've done it with several cars and bikes. Best to go to a "friendly" DMV when you do find your plate. There is a guy, his name escapes me right now, but I believe he is at most Long Beach MC swaps and used to be at Pomona car swaps. He has most every thing, but you will pay a few hundred for a good plate. I got luckly and found my 47 plate at a small Ventura swap and paid $75 for it. Good luck and good hunting. By the way they show up on ebay from time to time.


    • #3
      I'm looking for a 1927 Indiana plate for my Henderson. A friend did a little searching and found a perfect '27 Ohio plate for $1275.00. Yes, that's one thousand, two hundred, seventy-five dollars. I live on the border of Indiana/Ohio, and half my farm is in Ohio, so I could switch the title to Ohio easliy enough. But $1275.00? Nahhhhh.