Wanted: Junk Aluminum Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Junk Aluminum Cases

I need a few appropriate unsalvageable Harley castings to practice my TIG skills on in order to finish an article for 'The Antique Motorcycle.'

Castings are somewhat porous, so welding components that have been in contact with oil (e.g. transmission cases, bottoms of engine cases, etc.) can be a real problem. Whether deserved or not, older Harley castings have a particularly bad reputation in this regard, but my experience is limited to welding British castings of various vintages. Hence, my request for a couple of Harley castings. I need them to experiment with processes to clean them as good as they can be cleaned, and then on TIG techniques to weld them afterwards. This will include experimenting with filler materials to find the ones that work best with whatever aluminum casting alloys H-D used. With luck, their reputation will turn out to be undeserved, and they'll be as easy to weld as British castings...

I really do want parts that are of scrap value only because I never can bring myself to destroy parts that could be salvaged. What I'm hoping for are parts that you know are junk but that have been piled on your garage floor for years because you haven't been able to throw them out.

Please send me a Private Message telling me what you have, and how much you want for it. I will be happy to mail you a check and for you to wait until it clears before sending me your pieces of junk. This is for a good cause.

For what I plan to do I only need one each of the following (in unsalvageable condition):

-- transmission or engine case
    -- primary or timing cover
Working...
X