16J Gas Tanks For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16J Gas Tanks For Sale

Hello Folks, I am offering for sale a pair of gas/oil tanks for a 1916 Harley Davidson Model J or F. The observant on here may notice that these tanks were on ebay about 3 weeks ago. The reason I am now offering them here is that even though I had lots of interest on ebay with 75 watchers and a winning bid of £861 UK Pounds, due to a misunderstanding by the buyer the sale fell through. I had to wait for 10 days after requesting for the sale to be cancelled before ebay have confirmed the cancellation hence why I am only re offering these tanks now.

Before I put them for sale anywhere else again I figure that I will put them on the 2 forums I have been posting my build on (AMCA & CAIMAG). The final sale on ebay was £861.00 UK pounds but with ebay fees that would mean that I would have received £775 UK pounds so I figure that is a fair price for them. To put it into perspective I had to pay £700 for a 1938/39 Triumph tank a little while ago so £775.00 for these feels like the right number to me.

For the avoidance of doubt I am asking £775 UK pounds excluding shipping and insurance. Shipping and insurance will be in addition to this price and will be paid for by the buyer. I have some shipping and insurance quotes which I have listed at the bottom of this post.

I am told by the more knowledgeable on here that the fact that they are pre 1917 is distinguished by them having grey/gray paint and also the brass fittings on the base such as the gear lever pivot. The gear lever pivot is also a slightly different shape from the later tanks, so I am told. It is certainly different from the other 2 tanks that I have but please familiarise yourself with the 50 High resolution pictures that I have uploaded to my Photobucket account here:

http://s375.photobucket.com/user/jpw...?sort=3&page=1

If you are interested please take time to look at all of the pictures.

The right hand tank.

This tank is complete but does have some issues as follows:

There is a rust hole in the front top outside corner of the tank (see pictures).

There is an area on top of the tank between the filler and the front of the tank where the metal is thin. I have tapped the tank all over and it seems sound except in this area. There is another small hole in this area so I think its reasonable to assume that this area has suffered from corrosion, perhaps the tank was left upside down with some moisture in it at some time in the past?

The tank has some dents on the right side. I have tried to show them in the pictures.

The tank has had a repair at some time in the past. There is a small patch that has been soldered onto the base and also a small blob of solder in one of the valve pockets.

The tank has grey/gray paint that looks original to me but the right side, front and top has had red primer put on it. The way the primer has been put on seems to be a bit haphazard and with care it seems to scrape off. I have removed a patch of the red paint to see if it is feasible to uncover the grey/gray underneath. I have included a before and after picture. I am not sure of the best way to remove paint like this but the way I did it was to use a small plastic spudger and carefully scraped the paint off. The patch in the pictures took about 2 hours so it is not a quick job but I do think that its possible to remove quite a lot more of it. Obviously I cant guarantee this but its a reasonable assumption based on the bit that I have done. You can see how the grey/gray paint looks after the red has been scraped off in the after picture. There may be a better way to get the red off so i have not done any more and will leave it to the new owner to decide.

All of the threads seem to be good.

The left side tank is in much better condition.

There are no visible holes in the metal and it all seems quite sound.

There are some dents as shown in the pictures.

There is also some red primer over the original grey/gray paint although a lot less red than on the right hand tank.

There are three tabs that fold over to hold something (I assume pipes or wires) on the bottom of this tank but one of them has snapped off although this is a very minor issue. See pictures.

All threads seem good.

As I said above please ask questions if you need more information.

If someone would like to view the items (if you are not too far from York in the UK) then that is fine.

Shipping fees:

The item weighs 8 Kg's (17.6 pounds)

TNT

UK - Mainland £25.00 plus £37.50 insurance = £62.50 UK pounds

Europe - France £42.50 plus £37.50 insurance = £80 UK pounds

Europe - Germany £35.50 plus £37.50 insurance = £73.50 UK pounds

Europe - Finland £41.00 plus £37.50 insurance = £78.50 UK pounds

Europe - Poland £45.50 plus £37.50 insurance = £83.00 UK pounds

USA - £73.00 plus £37.50 insurance = £110.50 UK Pounds

Australia/New Zealand - £109 plus £37.50 insurance = £136.50 UK pounds

All of the above prices are in British pounds sterling.

I have tried DHL, Parcel Force and Interlink Direct. All of the quotes from these companies were higher than TNT.
Working...
X