Correct wheels - repro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct wheels - repro?

I know I can't be the only one with this issue so here goes. This is a two-part question:

1> Is there a correct Big Twin 18" wheel available in reproduction? FYI, the one Tedd (V-Twin) lists is for a 45 solo front which has two problems - the spoke nipple holes are sized smaller and they have the 45, not Big Twin, spoke hole arrangement. (Trust me, I know). So, is there another source somewhere? If so, where and what is the part number?

2> Is there a correct Big Twin 16" wheel available in repro for the '40 - '62 that does not have the "safety-bead" rim design? (Tire bead sits on the rim's flat tire-bead section). If so, source and part number, please?

Taking original wheels and repairing and rechroming is quite expensive, as we know, so I hope there are alternatives.

For reference, see Palmer's book, page 97.

Thanks,
    Lonnie

I think Steve Slocomb-VL Heaven offers a good replacement 18" wheel.

Comment

Thanks. If I see him at Oley, I will inquire. About accurate 16's...............................?????

Comment

wheels

Hello Lonnie,
        Have you received any info on 16" repro rims?
        I'm in need for my '47.
        Thanks, Bob

Comment

No luck to date, Bob. Re the 16" wheels, surprisingly there seem to be enough used ones floating around (since they were used until '61 or '62 or whatever) that I had no difficulty rounding up two good used ones to rechrome for my '48.
          The 18" Big Twin wheels seem to be the bear to find - I found one with the correct '41 - '43 hub on eBay at a very reasonable price and have picked up another that may not be repairable, so I am still on the prowl for another good used.
          The difference in the 45" and BT wheel is noted in Palmer's book and the repops I bought from V-Twin were 45" type.
          Since I have had no other feedback, I am assuming that there are no accurate repops out there. If I am wrong, I wish someone would shed some additional light on this topic.
          Regards,
          Lonnie

Comment

Hello Lonnie,
            Have you had any luck finding GOOD repos in 18"? I had my 16" rims replated for my Knuckle at a very high cost and have now decided to go with 18, I think they look better. Palmer's says that 16 was an option in 40, so I think ether would be correct. I also need one more hub with the recessed zerk, would you have an extra? Thanks Barry

Comment

I have the interchangeable 18" in bare, cadmium plated and now a real nice chrome. These are produce by us here in Europe and have the correct location of the valve stem and correct size nipple holes. I also have the 45 front in the same finishes.

(The cadmium plated finish is real, not a zinc or some other chemical treatment)

e-mail me: info@45partsdepot.com

Kurt

Sorry for the spam.

www.45partsdepot.com

Comment

Actually, the 18's were optional to maybe 1963 (someone correct me if I am wrong - no Palmer's book readily available). Since they were optional, I was able to get a Senior on my '42 with a set, no problem. I think they look better, handling seems a bit quicker, rides a tough rougher, though, but not overly so. I would like to see the correct repops before I purchased a set (though my experience is that you folks do good work).
                Re the 16's, I rechromed a set of originals for my '48, which is already Winners Circle with the later wheels (2-point deduction). I wanted it to be as close to correct as possible, even after the actual points judging is done. It is pricey to rechrome wheels, but I have not seen the real deal in repop for those either though I have been told Tedd's Cycle (V-Twin) sells them. I ordered such a set (I thought) and they are the incorrect ones I will be taking off the '48. If V-Twin does sell a true replica early 16-inch wheel, I would certainly like to know the part number.
                Lonnie

Comment

i JUST ordered a Teds 18" black rim for my '47 FL. From what I am readng here, it is NOT an acceptable rim? Hopefully someone will l inform me while I stll have time to retract the order.....

Bill Pedalino

Comment

Bill:
                    If you are restoring a knuck or pan (thru '64), you should have a copy of Bruce Palmer's book "How To Restore Your Harley-Davidson". He has a very good and short description on how to tell the difference between the 45" and BT rims.
                    In my case, the rims I bought from Tedd (V-Twin) were 45" and had two issues - the orientation of the spokes in relation to the valve stem hole were incorrect and the spoke nipple holes were for the smaller 45" spoke.
                    Check the nipple holes and if they are too small, rim is wrong. Re the orientation of the spokes and valve stem hole, if you are looking at the rim from the inside (tire/tube side), the correct BT wheel will have the nipple hole on the left side above the hole and on the right below the hole. The 45" is the opposite.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Buy the book.
                    Lonnie

Comment

Gary at Starklite Cycle has been working on an 18" rim for about a year now. I saw the prototype last summer. Check with him at 951-968-3070 or www.starklite.com I bought some used rims from Ziggy in Port Angles, Wash. 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X