VERY basic help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY basic help, please

This is my first request for help. Be gentle guys.
    Just acquired a 1943 741 junior Scout, my first antique bike (if you don't count the ones that would be antiques now if only I would have been smart enough to keep them).
    1. Where is the best place to find a battery that fits the box correctly? I understand it's supposed to be a 12 amp hour 6 volt, correct? Do you know the battery number.
    2. Where is best place to get an owners and/or service manual?
    3. And now for the really newbie questions (I could wait and read it in the manual, but I don't mind looking dumb). How do you know how much oil to run in the tank, and what to use (?HD 20-50).
    4. If they did not rebuild with hardened valves, what to run for fuel? Use an additive, or just unleaded?
    Thanks alot.

OK - I'll try. You've probably read my incoherent ramblings. So were in the same boat.

1. take dimentions to battery supply house. Or buy from IND supplier. Do you have a false cover? or will you secure someway else? re: Frog hold down. Battery Tender good bet also.
    2. Send me an SASE (lrg) for operation and maintenance manu. 741 - will photocopy for you - whatever that costs. 70pgs. Have rider hand book around somewhere also. 30 pages I think. small so maybe half that.
    3. Sure 20/50 this time of year. See how much it blows-by or burns. How many miles on eng.? Maybe get a pro over to listen to engine on start-up.
    We MAY have a member or two in Iowa. hee-heee....
    4. Premium unleaded. 94.

Congrats! Your in for some fun now!

Hummmm.... do an emergency stop from speed, just to test the brakes. Make yourself aware of a few things for safety.

Comment

SCD, I have been running straight 50 in my 1941 741. This seems to work out well. I also run with a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas (premium) and oil. I was told this is good to help with the valve guide lubrication. My little scout came back over the pond (from NZ) in about 1990. It was sent there in WWII as a military police bike. It is a true 741 with low serial number. So far she's running great and leaks more oil than she burns. Good luck with yours. I would be interested to hear more about the synthetic oils in being used Indians.

Comment

Want to know more about a GREAT synthetic oil?? Go here, www.rpmoil.com
        I use this in my FOURS and havent looked back! I use to use TORCO also very good but a fellow on the west coast who recently had a four in the mag and I got teflon pistons from talked highly about this Royal Purple Oil....great stuff!

Comment

Synthetic oil

Sounds great inline4. What viscosity do you use and and do they have a straight 50?

Comment

PatR,
            Yes they have 50, I use 20/50 in my Fours, remember it depends on the type of driving you do,how hot it gets where you are,ect,my old bikes rarely get rode in extreme heat!Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X