Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealed or AGM battery conversion

Hi,
    I need to replace my 6 volt tall battery on my 61 FL and wanted to put a sealed battery in there. The present battery is 22 amp hours. Has anyone tried to put one of the new style batteries in there.
    I recently swapped the battery on a B 50 bsa with a battery from a local alarm supplier and it works fine. I am concerned about blowing the generator or voltage regulator in the HD if I use a battery with too low an amp hour rating.
    Thanks for any help.
    Doug

i got a sealed battery from a battery supplier that is made to run one of those little kids cars, it is a 6 volt, 13 amps i think,i've been running it in my 6volt beemer an i'm going to get one in the spring for my V model harley, no problem so far, an you don't have to worry about acid. good luck, dave
    only cost about 20$

Comment

Thanks Vride,
      I did a lot of web surfing on batteries last nite and it seems like there are more than a few 6 volt batteries thet will work. I am glad to see it worked for you I will give it a try.
      I like keeping things all original generally but that battery acid has caused a bit of damage already.
      Doug

Comment

RE: 6 Volt

Try this battery.

I bought one for my 59. It is 6V 18 amp hours.

http://www.powerfactorinc.com/Batteries/cf-6v18.htm

Comment

Re: RE: 6 Volt

Originally posted by ozwick
          Try this battery.

I bought one for my 59. It is 6V 18 amp hours.

http://www.powerfactorinc.com/Batteries/cf-6v18.htm
          Ozwick,
          How long have you run this battery ? I ordered one for my 42WLA. Is there anyway to mock-up a set of dummy terminals to look like factory ?

thanks --- Kent Chipman

Comment

battery

i think the best way to go is to get an old battery that is no good,cut it off below the terminals, clean up the top till it suits you, take an glue it with construction adhesive to your top, you can now hook up a couple wires with quick disconnects, you can now put any battery in the box an nobody is any the wiser

Comment

battery..REPLACEMENT

OK. I CUT THE TOP OFF OF OLD BATTERY ... how do attach the leads from remaining post underneath old top...mine has a rod (about 3/8 diameter coming down from terminals...any ideas or how did you do it...you said you "glued" new battery to old top??..thanks ,tc oldpan

Comment

maybe I wasn't too clear,You glue the top you cut off the old b
                battery to the top of the battery box, With the terminals sticking
                out the holes to look like the whole battery is in there.
                When you cut off the old battery there should be some lead sticking down from the top, this would have been inside the battery, solder a wire on these, enough to let you take the cover off, I usually put some cardboard or a rag around the little battery so it won't bounce around in there. hook up the wires, put the top on , a couple nice correct wingnuts, looks good, works even better
                Dave

Comment

BATTERY ...FAKE IT!

THANKS, Now I understand..I ORDERED THE BATTERY and HOPE TO HAVE A LOT LESS PROBLEMS..TC OLDPAN

Comment

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

...Just one more question on this subject...what gauge wire should I use for the "JUMPER" wires that go from new battery to the connections on the bottom of old battery top?...thanks tc oldpan

Comment

wire

your old battry was hooked up with a 12 or even a 14, i would use a 12 stranded, i also like a fuse on the ground side, harley never had one
                      Dave

Comment

Hello,
                        I did the AGM battery conversion. I put a fuse on the positive side. I need to change this if it is wrong. Why would you put it, the fuse, on the negitive side as opposed to the positive side?

thanks for the help ----
                        Kent Chipman

Comment

battery ..

I did the "hide the smaller battery" job and it worked great...I have the best lighting I have ever had with engine not running. I have not put in a fuse ,so I AM INTERESTED ALSO IN WHICH ..POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE side to fuse it..The cutting the top off the originak 6 volt worked great and you cannot even see the new battery or tell the old ones not running the show...TC oldpan

Comment

I don't think it could hurt any to put a fuse on both terminals. Paps

Comment

fuse

all the british an jap bikes that come with a fuse always have it on the groung side, i don't know why i just follow their lead. Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X