Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a New Hudson?

Would this be a New Hudson? 1912?

Great period shot. Nice accessories. Love that front fender.
    Attached Files

Chris from Australia sent the whole image! Almost all of it.

I think members would like to see this published in the magazine! It's pretty neat. Chris says it's OK and will send a big one.

Looks like a city slicker has driven this New Hudson in from Sydney. Fenders are long gone, exhaust pipe is broken off, custom foot boards/peg. Maybe in for new front tire and guides. Or is he just over oiling? Could be a car tire on the front?

Looks like this fella was crossing rivers and deep road ruts. Mud or something is wrapped around front right leg, above the axel. Maybe owner pushed it a couple of miles into the shop? Sub frame mud/dust has been rubbed off just behind the seat.

Does the bike have the correct belt on it? Probably replaced. Also no lights on the bike. Lights cost extra don't cha know.

So enamoured with the new modern two wheeled arrival the owner of the engineering/auto shop has dragged the family out to pose beside the machine for a photo.

Nice belt drive set up in the shop (powering all machine tools) with that beautiful hit & miss drive engine on the right, must get that in the picture!

If the bike is 1910. Maybe this shot was taken 1911-12?

I really like this shot because it clearly shows factual reality of the time. Not a glossy restored show bike.

Thanks very much Chris. Hopefully some other members will jump in and make a few comments. Fill us all in, on things that may not be readily apparent in the shot.

Comment

Woops! The full photo.
      Attached Files

Comment

Stans overhead belt drive set-up. I love it!

Just to give you an idea of what the roof would have looked like in the shop.
        Attached Files

Comment

New Hudson????

hello , I think this is about a 1910 , 554 cc Bradbury , made in Oldham , Lancashire , in the north west of England . Bradbury's were made from about 1901 to 1925 , including 349 cc and 499 cc singles and 749 cc twins
          best wishes

Comment

Ahhhh....Good stuff! Thanks Ken. Much appreciated.

Comment

Glad I can help , after all this is what it's all about seeking and finding things out and sharing each others knowledge , I've just found a Bradbury on "Yesterdays" site so if you'd like a pic , visit <www.yesterdays.nl > it's sold but great site , quite often has a lot of American bikes , best wishes , happy riding , Ken PS I tried to attach a photo but it's too big ?? do not know how to make smaller but see it on yesterdays

Comment

Bradbury is the correct answer I believe. A feature of the Bradbury was that the Engine cases were cast iron rather than the usual aluminum, and the frame tubes were inserted directly into the cases, so the engine was part of the frame. There was a Bradbury of about this vintage for sale at Harmoney last year.
                The Bosch open top mag dates it from 1911 or earlier.
                A friend of mine, Mike Wills, who lives in England is the world's Bradbury guru, and can give further details if required.
                Pete Gagan

Comment

OK- Here we go. The shot from Yesterdays.com web site in Holland.

Thanks Pete - I didn't notice the pipes in the cases. Neat. I guess the center portion is case iron with alum covers on the sides. I wonder what that looks like internally.

Is Mike Wills online? I'm kinda wondering what the small logo on the tank looks like. Maybe a small coat of arms logo/decal?

Would the small cable or line coming up from the back of the engine in the period photo be an oiler line? What's that for?

I just noticed the seat post also. It appears to slide into the cross pipe. Was that pretty common?

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Comparison shot attached.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The two lines coming from the tank are oil and gasoline. You can see the hand oil pump handle above the oil line. The line leading from the rear of the engine to the top of the carrier is perhaps a control cable that is just sitting there, as the machine is likely in for repairs. On the Bradbury, the two round markings on each end of the tank are formal portraits of the two Bradbury bros. who built the machines.
                      I'm afraid I don't have an e-mail address for Mike Wills. He has around twelve Bradburys.
                      Pete

Comment

Thanks Pete. I'll see if I can get someone to email me a picture of the portrait decals. I'm real curious now. Anyone AMCA? VMCC? I'll email the VMCC and see what happens.

What does the control cable on rear of engine - control? Hummm...Maybe I should write Mike a quick letter?

I also see now that the exhaust can is in front of engine and is not broken off. It's also interesting to see the engine support bracket/rod coming down from the frame to the front of the mag.

*** Ken -Thanks for direction to Yesterdays! I've just ID another bike photo from local fellow. - full WWI machine gun setup. Clyno machine. Side car and steel plate was visually blocking most of the bike.

They have really nice bikes up on site. I really like the attached mini history briefings.

Comment

Working...
                        X