Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flattie oil leak

I'm frustrated.
    As a relative newbie to the zen of riding / repairing old bikes I enjoy wrenching on them and probably do more of it than actual riding. But I have hit a dilemma in an errant oil leak from (it appears) the bottom of the engine. I have tightened every bolt on her and cannot for my life find the leak but it's enough to drain the tank within a month.

Any offerings other than sympathy will help.

Although sympathy will not be shunned, it just won't help!

I made one good run before she started spilling the lifeblood in the garage.
    The old girl didn't lose a drop when I got her and only after having her in the shop did she come home with this incessant leak. I won't give the name of the shop that had her for months and sent her home with every bolt on the engine loosened to the point that a drag pipe fell off on the way to the DMV, but it's run by (blah blah) in Solana Beach Ca.

Thanks for listening.
    Dave
    42 BSA
    47 WLA

Bummer, Did you ask the guys at the shop for an explanation, re:torque? in a friendly way. Did you ask them to address the leak? Just curious. I've always found a good approach brings back positive results.

Your using locktite correct? It won't work on oil soaked bolts. Must be clean.

A difficult request. I'll step out and ask you to wipe underside clean. Wipe the whole thing clean. Connections from oil tank to engine. Run it for 5 min and take a look around to see if you can locate the source. Nothing? take it around the block and look again.

Sympathy. OK. you got it.
    It could have been a whole, WHOLE lot worse. Be thankful. What work did you have done? Clutch?

Please don't use this forum as a venue to slander folks. I'm takin shop name out. But leaving city name.

Comment

Thanks for the reply adminguy.

1st. Truth isn't slander my friend.

After months of my ride being on display in front of "the shop" the steps taken just to retrieve it ended my association with them.
      As for the work done, The bike was there for brakes and a hub rebuild, oil change (their suggestion, maybe they used synthetic?) and check it over for safety since I had just bought it and the shakedown run ended on a truck. Brakes failed and it had an electrical short.

Anyway, I have checked all connections, they are clean. I have cleaned the motor and have not run it since the one long ride I mentioned due to the leak. Losing that much oil while standing still. I'm worried about the motor.
      I'm hoping to resolve it without pulling it.
      And I still need a good old bike mechanic in San Diego.

I'll run it this weekend and try what you've offered.
      Thanks again

Comment

47 WL - unknown history... I'm worried about your motor also, and a host of other things.

I'm familiar with the classic run-around. Sad when it comes to that. Big pain.

Sometimes a shop will ask up front if you would be willing to leave the bike around for for a month. PR value. Sometimes a discount on service. Honesty is nice. Oh well.

I'm going to phone a few guys in San Diego that will hopefully direct me to guys that are reputable.

Compression good?
        Have you flipped the heads off - just to take a look see at bore walls?

When was the last time it was rebuilt? Who did it? Was it butchered in someones garage for years? I've got bad vibes just thinking about this. I'd like to see it. Ahhhh .... takin a deep breath now.

Tail light wire -ground fault short? Dash cover plate?

I see that what you'd really like is an honest full assessment. That may mean rebuild time, and a bunch of other things if you really want to ride it with peace of mind.

Kirk Perry spoke highly of Mark Stettler at Stett's Iron Horse Ranch. El Cajon 619) 590-8282. Just ask him what a full assessment would cost.

I'll phone down and see what I can dig up for you.

Comment

Sumping

If you are loosing that much oil it is getting by the seat in your oil pump. The Check ball is not seating and you need to have the ball seat in your pump re-cut or burnished. It will cure your problem. fatDog

Comment

Excellent! Thanks Bill.

Comment

Thank you to both gentlemen for responding.

I really do appreciate the feedback. Stett's Iron Horse Ranch sounds very near me, and it seems like I do need the assessment. Which was one of the "in the shop" items requested.

BTW, one month on display would have been understandable....
              Four Months! and I was ready to drag the bike home.
              OK, Last comment on that!

To answer some questions:
              I bought the bike from an AMCA member in Kansas; and she did not lose a drop of oil during delivery nor at any time until service and she ran like a champ. Just needed some minor details.
              Was rebuilt in (I think) '92 or '98 by previous owner. Checked over and OK'd by a friend and SDAMC member who helped bring her to me that owns no less than 30 old bikes. I trust his judgement.
              I haven't opened up the motor because it was not necessary based on the inspection and it will be a last resort.
              Tail light wire -ground fault short? Yes. Also changed to correct light switch.

Please do let me know if there are any San Diego shops that are recommended.

Again, thank you both for the input and suggestions.
              I joined the AMCA partly to use the Forum for problems like this when I have exhausted my knowledge and to make friends with folks that just dig old bikes like I do.

Comment

Sounds good to go! I'd just inspect your "check ball" for crud. And resolve with re-cut or burnish. Not drift tap.

Again, thanks Bill.

Comment

Working...
                X