Tranny Mechanic Needed in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Mechanic Needed in Michigan

I have a 46 WL and have had my bike/Tranny to the same guy three times now. He obviously does not know how to fix these tranny's and I need a guy who does. My tale of woe is long and painfull so I will skip the details. I need a guy in the Detroit area that knows about old Iron. Any help would be much appreciated.
    P.S. I won't mention this companies name here, but if you live in Michigan and wan't to know where not to go, contact me.

tranny

Man you sound like me. I have the same 46 with the tranny slipping in and out of gear. Fixed by my expert 3 times and is still screwed. I had my 45 in Sturgis a few weeks ago and met a guy with the same problem. He put me on to a guy who knows his stuff, Actually has a bench tester for our trannys. hIS NAME IS Gus Karnes. his website is www.utopioncyclebits.com I called him up and it sounds like he really knows his stuff. I think he lives in Mount Vernon Illinois. Im going to the run at Death Valley next month and after the run Im going to pull the tranny and he will take it back home with him. This will be the 4th time this tranny has been out of the bike. Good luck with it I know what your going through.

Comment

It's that dang speel'in thang ahgin. He da MAN! Super nice guy. Worked for Dale.

http://www.utopiancyclebits.com/

Comment

Yea like he said!

Comment

Nice to see you have a sense of humor. I'm thankful.

45 trans blueprint poster. At da bottom.
          http://www.superiormotorcycles.com/poster.html

I'm dig'in alot of the posters!~

Comment

tranny re-re worked--again

Well I got the tranny back from this gent after he asked me to give him another shot at it. The bike ran better than it ever had, on the way home. But the next day the bike wouldn't stay in first gear !!! Now I have to start off in second....At least it starts right up though...whew , this rebuilding stuff makes you tough. Anyway, maybe I will pull mine out and take it to Gus this fall. We will see. I appreciate all the help. PS( the main shaft had been bent all along. It was chewing up starter gears right and left)

Comment

Make sure your shift linkage is adjusted properly. If that's not it , the shift forks may not be shimmed properly.

Comment

tranny

Mine has been all second gear slipping. It is wierd feeling like a clutch slipping. Im babying it right now because I want to go on a couple of toy runs before the death valley run and I want it in one piece to give to Gus after the run. Its to bad because it is running perfect, starts up first kick. Does anyone know of a 45 tranny for sale? A buddy of mine has just bought a 45 with tranny problems and we thought we might find one as a spare to share in case we have any more problems.

Comment

tranny

Yea Mike might be right I know mine also did that before but just a small adjustment on the shifter linkage did the trick. My second gead problem im sure is shiming. The last time we had it apart one of the forks was warn around the topof the inside. Its wierd its like its not pushing on the gear flush but more of an angle thus wearing it out near the top. Dont know why this is happening but im not the mechanic. Ive replaced everything that even looked like its had a bit of wear and still no joy! Anyway i will let a new mechanic try.

Comment

It takes quite a bit to bend a mainshaft. Other components had to have worn before there would be enough available area for the mainshaft to move until it bent. A very worn clutch gear bushing, clutch gear roller bearing, or the right side case bearing could do it. Paps

Comment

Working...
                    X