1950 BSA Military bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 BSA Military bike

OK, you guys will have to excuse my ignorance on the subject of BSA's. I have a line on a 1950 BSA. I was told it was a military bike. The engine and tranny were ripped off out of this guys garage some years back though. This guy is willing to part with the remains, if the price is right. I have not seen the remains, but am told they have been in a storage barn for 20 years, and prior to storage everything was shot with a coat of primer. All of the remaining parts are original with the bike. Does anyone have any idea, sight unseen of course, what this thing might be worth? What are the chances of finding an engine and tranny? Does anyone have a picture of what these bikes look like? Any help would be appreciated.

I looked at a WW2 vintage BSA single today, 350CC flathead, very complete and original, the owner wants for 3000.00 for it. A much better value than the worn and ratty 47 Chief I was trying to buy that he wouldn't take less than 20,000 for.

Comment

My first question is what model is it?

I would find an engine before purchase. Mate the two missmatched. Resell as is and put more money in the mason jar for the Vincent that will make your life whole and complete.

The 50s brit stuff is getting very difficult to find. Just ask someone who has been down the road lately. Making one-off fenders and/or body panels gets pricey real quick. The tank, fenders, body panels, head lamp shell, guages, bakelight bits, are the things you should look for -I would think.

My gut feeling is your buying someone elses headache. I'd low ball it and walk if he counters. "Thanks for your time- I've lost interest, and must be going now." You'll know where you stand real quick. 2/3 way back to the truck turn around walk back and have a casual friendly conversation about driving directions. He may decide to unload at this point.

Personally I'd recommend buying a relatively complete matching numbers bike and have the engine rebuilt. Alot less grief and time.

Happy hunting!

Comment

I am assuming ,based on your response, that BSA engines are not as plentiful as WLA engines. Are there more than one type of BSA used for military purposes?
        Your advise sounds like a good plan of attack though. I certainly do not want to buy something, just to buy something. If I knew tranny's and engines were somewhat available , I might be more apt to go and get this thing. If for no other reason than to resell it for some extra dough.

Comment

BSA (******* stopped again)

I have a WW2 model courier bike WM20, so I speak with a little knowledge as to wrenching on a BSA.
          Theses bikes have a vin number on the front frame downtube side or in the area, as well as an engine number. Most military bikes did not have matching numbers after time. War dept. would match a good frame to a good engine etc.....

Find out what the model is, check a website like British Spares, British Only or British Connection for parts and pricing.
          I have used a site to purchase from the UK, they have a lot of parts but you pay up for shipping and the dollar is weak right now. Check www.stuart-bray-motorcycles.co.uk

Brit military bikes aren't as cut and dried and documented as Harley's but they're a blast. I would suggest spending money on the book "rebuilding your British single" and buying a set of Brit spanners and sockets if you score the bike.
          Knowing that matching numbers military bikes don't exist, if it only needs an engine and tranny, use the frame VIN to determine what size and model engine. I bet you can get it together.

Let me know If I can provide any information or additional pic's.
          Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

I'd also call Baxter Cycle IOWA, Britcycle (NovaSco CDN), Walridge (CDN), or that big lot of stuff that got freed up from ORG and migrated down to CA. Can't remember the name.

You shouldn't have a problem finding an engine/tran or lower, barrels and heads, to piece it together.

Comment

I spoke with the owner yesterday. He isn't sure of the model number but said it is a 500 cc bike. It still has a license plate mounted on the front fender with the original numbers.
              He said 30 years ago a guy came into his town with 5 or 6 of these military bikes in various condition and sold them all to locals. When he got it, there was a brushed on coat of army green (OD) paint. He is going to look for a vin# and get back to me. I will let you know what model it is when he does.

Comment

Well I guess this is a WM 20 model, and is complete (except motor and tranny). Any clues what this would be worth?

Comment

That must have been a long war?

The WM20 model to the best of my knowledge ended with 1945

Hank Joore's website:
                  http://www.stuart-bray-motorcycles.co.uk/
                  lists the following model and beginning frame and engine numbers for the model.

1950 "Z" model Enginenumber Framenumber
                  M20 500 c.c. S.V. ZM20-4001 ZM20-7001
                  B31 500 c.c. S.V. ZB32-3001 ZB31-9001
                  ZB34-2001 ZB31S-5001 (Springer frame)

I'm checking a couple of other sites.

If it's a B series it will begin with a ZB model and probably 4 digits. The M series would be ZM20 and 4 digits. You really need to check the frame for the numbers.
                  I have seen a few examples complete and in various restoration for $3000. - $5000. depending if it is period correct, etc.
                  For a complete (that means toolbox, rear stand, field or side stand, all cables, brackets, both fenders, lights, horn and controls) unit less engine and tranny that needs restoration.
                  Good opportunity cheap.
                  Bad luck if he's way too proud of it.

Ask him what he'll take for it and offer half plus beer. It could work

Comment

I saw it finally

You were right on. The numbers on the frame started with WM20, then four numbers were XXXX out's. They looked like they were 2953....40 C. The frame was intact as were the fenders, tank,toolbox,headlamp,handlebars, wheels w/ original (inflated) tires. Many of the cables were there as was the carb.
                    It has all been in an open air old barn since 1975 or so, and has a healthy coat of rust on it since he decided to sandblast it all and prime it. The Odometer shows just under 700 miles on it.
                    Anyone interested in it? I think I am going to pass on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X